Aug 1, 2010, 3:43 PM EST
The Astros agreed to a multi-year contract extension with right-hander Brett Myers on Saturday, and on Sunday afternoon full details of the new deal were revealed. Zachary Levine of the Houston Chronicle has the breakdown of years and money.
Myers, 29, was a steal for the Astros this winter and has been one of the few bright spots in a season full of downers. Through 21 starts he has posted a 3.10 ERA, a 1.22 WHIP and an 8-6 record on a bad Houston team. He has also fanned 113 batters in 145 innings while holding opposing right-handers to a .250/.302/.337 batting line.
This new deal will pay him $7 million in 2011 and $11 million in 2012. He also has a $10 million option for 2013 with a $3 million buyout.
If Myers continues to pitch like he has this season — which isn’t entirely unfeasible in the lowly NL Central — it should come in as a solid extension for both sides. The Astros have a long road back to contention, but they seem to be rebuilding in the right way. Now if only they could draft well.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)