Aug 1, 2010, 10:10 PM EST
Chicago Cubs right-hander Carlos Silva (10-4, 3.76 ERA), who is experiencing a stunning resurgence after two horrible seasons in Seattle, left Sunday’s game against the Colorado Rockies in the first inning with an abnormal heart rate, according to the Associated Press. He will remain in a Denver hospital overnight for observation.
Alan Trammell, managing the Cubs in place of Lou Piniella, who left the team to attend his uncle’s funeral, said he was unaware of any history of heart problems for Silva.
A Cubs trainer went to the mound after Silva walked the second batter he faced, Jonathan Herrera. Silva stayed in and allowed a single to Carlos Gonzalez and a ground-rule RBI double to Troy Tulowitzki.
Trammell and the trainer went back to the mound, and Silva was replaced by left-hander James Russell.
“Whether it is at the altitude, I don’t know,” Trammell said. “We saw something after Herrera’s at-bat when he backed off the mound. We thought something was wrong.”
The Chicago Tribune reported that Silva’s heart rate returned to normal on the way to the hospital, and that he was resting comfortably.
- Blue Jays acquire Josh Donaldson in a trade with the Athletics 40
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 87
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 164
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (164)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)