Aug 1, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT
Yankees slugger Alex Rodriguez is just one home run away from 600 for his career. Actually, he’s been one home run away from 600 for 37 at-bats now. And he’s unlikely to reach the milestone Sunday.
According to Erik Boland of Newsday, A-Rod is not in the Yankees’ lineup this afternoon against Rays right-hander James Shields despite a tight race at the top of the American League East standings.
Perhaps manager Joe Girardi has noticed that his third baseman is pressing. Rodriguez told the Newark Star-Ledger’s Marc Carig on Saturday that it might take him a while to get that elusive home run, so he’s clearly been bothered by the pressure.
“There’s no question, the way I’m swinging it, it’s probably going to take awhile,” A-Rod said with a laugh. “Everybody get comfortable.”
Rodriguez is 8-for-37 since hitting home run No. 599 on July 22 and his batting average has dropped five points. He has averaged a home run per every 14.5 at-bats for his career and has averaged a long-ball every 23.4 at-bats this season. If this power drought lasts any longer, the coverage could get very annoying.
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare 186
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 30
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (195)
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Cuban outfielder Rusney Castillo to sign with the Red Sox for $72 million (91)
- Even if he’s reinstated, does Pete Rose make the Hall of Fame? (84)