Aug 1, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 2:58 PM: X-rays on both his left elbow and left ankle were negative, reports David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Howard will miss a few days because of the sprain, but it appears that the Phillies have avoided a major scare.
UPDATE, 2:09 PM: Howard’s injury is being called a left ankle sprain, according to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. He will undergo X-rays to ensure that there is no serious structural damage.
2:02 PM: Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard had to be helped off the field Sunday after apparently injuring his left knee or ankle while running the bases in the first inning. The scene was capture here in this photo posted by Major League Baseball’s official Twitter page.
Howard, batting .292 with an .884 OPS, 23 homers and 81 RBI, was replaced at first base by Cody Ransom.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)