Aug 1, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 2:58 PM: X-rays on both his left elbow and left ankle were negative, reports David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Howard will miss a few days because of the sprain, but it appears that the Phillies have avoided a major scare.
UPDATE, 2:09 PM: Howard’s injury is being called a left ankle sprain, according to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. He will undergo X-rays to ensure that there is no serious structural damage.
2:02 PM: Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard had to be helped off the field Sunday after apparently injuring his left knee or ankle while running the bases in the first inning. The scene was capture here in this photo posted by Major League Baseball’s official Twitter page.
Howard, batting .292 with an .884 OPS, 23 homers and 81 RBI, was replaced at first base by Cody Ransom.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 14
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 81
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 115
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)