Aug 1, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 2:58 PM: X-rays on both his left elbow and left ankle were negative, reports David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Howard will miss a few days because of the sprain, but it appears that the Phillies have avoided a major scare.
UPDATE, 2:09 PM: Howard’s injury is being called a left ankle sprain, according to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. He will undergo X-rays to ensure that there is no serious structural damage.
2:02 PM: Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard had to be helped off the field Sunday after apparently injuring his left knee or ankle while running the bases in the first inning. The scene was capture here in this photo posted by Major League Baseball’s official Twitter page.
Howard, batting .292 with an .884 OPS, 23 homers and 81 RBI, was replaced at first base by Cody Ransom.
- Sandy Alderson is not going to “roll over” for Scott Boras and shut down Matt Harvey 64
- Dodgers are already fed up with 6.56 ERA-pitching, excuse-making Mat Latos 50
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 24
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 146
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 145
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (146)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (145)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (107)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (101)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (90)