Aug 1, 2010, 2:58 PM EDT
UPDATE, 2:58 PM: X-rays on both his left elbow and left ankle were negative, reports David Murphy of the Philadelphia Inquirer. Howard will miss a few days because of the sprain, but it appears that the Phillies have avoided a major scare.
UPDATE, 2:09 PM: Howard’s injury is being called a left ankle sprain, according to MLB.com’s Todd Zolecki. He will undergo X-rays to ensure that there is no serious structural damage.
2:02 PM: Phillies first baseman Ryan Howard had to be helped off the field Sunday after apparently injuring his left knee or ankle while running the bases in the first inning. The scene was capture here in this photo posted by Major League Baseball’s official Twitter page.
Howard, batting .292 with an .884 OPS, 23 homers and 81 RBI, was replaced at first base by Cody Ransom.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 50
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 27
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 45
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)