Aug 1, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
Nationals phenom Stephen Strasburg was placed on the disabled list last week after inflammation was found in his throwing shoulder. The move was mostly precautionary and his goal is to return on the first day that he is eligible, or at least right around that day.
That goal got a little more realistic on Sunday when Strasburg played catch for the first time since his shoulder issue sprang up. He made sets of 25 throws from a distance of 60 feet and reported feeling great after the workout.
The next step is a bullpen session, which should happen Tuesday. Then he will throw a simulated game, probably on Thursday. If all goes well, he could be back with the Nationals for their mid-week series against the Marlins that begins on August 10.
Strasburg, who turned 22 on July 20, has collected five wins in nine starts this season for a bad Nationals team. He’s posted a 2.32 ERA, a 1.07 WHIP and 75 strikeouts in 54.1 innings. Opposing hitters have averaged a .216/.270/.291 batting line against him.
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 125
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 21
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 216
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 25
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (216)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)