Aug 2, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
According to various sources the Angels are planning to call up 23-year-old outfielder Peter Bourjos from Triple-A prior to tomorrow’s game. Bourjos ranked among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects coming into the season and has hit .314/.364/.498 at Triple-A.
One of the fastest players in the minors, he has 27 steals and 12 triples in 102 games and is also considered an elite defensive center fielder. Torii Hunter’s presence likely means he won’t be seeing much time in center field for the Angels–at least not this season–but manager Mike Scioscia may use Bourjos in place of Juan Rivera in left field.
Back when fellow speedster Chone Figgins was a prospect the Angels initially used him as merely a pinch-runner and defensive replacement, but Scioscia hinted that they likely wouldn’t call Bourjos up to serve in such a limited role, saying: “Every young player needs to play.”
Bourjos doesn’t walk much for someone who could be destined for the leadoff spot and how much power he’ll develop remains in question, but he just set the Pacific Coast League record with 52 hits in July and would be a massive upgrade over Rivera defensively. Plus, it’s not like Rivera has been any good at the plate anyway, hitting just .257/.309/.427 in 89 games.
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 1
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 82
- Mark Trumbo diagnosed with stress fracture in foot 7
- Josh Johnson needs a second Tommy John surgery 21
- Sammy Sosa wasn’t invited to Wrigley Field’s 100th birthday 45
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (117)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)