Aug 2, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
According to various sources the Angels are planning to call up 23-year-old outfielder Peter Bourjos from Triple-A prior to tomorrow’s game. Bourjos ranked among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects coming into the season and has hit .314/.364/.498 at Triple-A.
One of the fastest players in the minors, he has 27 steals and 12 triples in 102 games and is also considered an elite defensive center fielder. Torii Hunter’s presence likely means he won’t be seeing much time in center field for the Angels–at least not this season–but manager Mike Scioscia may use Bourjos in place of Juan Rivera in left field.
Back when fellow speedster Chone Figgins was a prospect the Angels initially used him as merely a pinch-runner and defensive replacement, but Scioscia hinted that they likely wouldn’t call Bourjos up to serve in such a limited role, saying: “Every young player needs to play.”
Bourjos doesn’t walk much for someone who could be destined for the leadoff spot and how much power he’ll develop remains in question, but he just set the Pacific Coast League record with 52 hits in July and would be a massive upgrade over Rivera defensively. Plus, it’s not like Rivera has been any good at the plate anyway, hitting just .257/.309/.427 in 89 games.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 22
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (83)