Aug 2, 2010, 2:46 PM EDT
According to various sources the Angels are planning to call up 23-year-old outfielder Peter Bourjos from Triple-A prior to tomorrow’s game. Bourjos ranked among Baseball America‘s top 100 prospects coming into the season and has hit .314/.364/.498 at Triple-A.
One of the fastest players in the minors, he has 27 steals and 12 triples in 102 games and is also considered an elite defensive center fielder. Torii Hunter’s presence likely means he won’t be seeing much time in center field for the Angels–at least not this season–but manager Mike Scioscia may use Bourjos in place of Juan Rivera in left field.
Back when fellow speedster Chone Figgins was a prospect the Angels initially used him as merely a pinch-runner and defensive replacement, but Scioscia hinted that they likely wouldn’t call Bourjos up to serve in such a limited role, saying: “Every young player needs to play.”
Bourjos doesn’t walk much for someone who could be destined for the leadoff spot and how much power he’ll develop remains in question, but he just set the Pacific Coast League record with 52 hits in July and would be a massive upgrade over Rivera defensively. Plus, it’s not like Rivera has been any good at the plate anyway, hitting just .257/.309/.427 in 89 games.
- Jonathan Papelbon makes it clear, again: He wants out of Philadelphia 51
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises 71
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 52
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 51
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 67
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 51
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 107
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (107)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Looking at the All-Star team snubs and surprises (71)