Aug 2, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
The Reds have been in need of an extra bullpen arm for a while this season, and whenever people have started talking about that need, the talk has turned to Aroldis Chapman. At first he was off limits because he was starting. And then, after being moved the bullpen he was seen as a non-option because he was, well, sucking.
But now may be the time to call Chapman up because he’s tearing it up down in Louisville lately: he’s posted a 0.82 ERA and held opponents to a .175 batting average over his last 11 innings, with a 17/6 K/BB ratio over that time.
I still think that Champman needs to be given every chance to be a starter. But I also never thought the Reds would be in a pennant race into August either, so maybe it may be better to punt those plans until next spring.
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 0
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 25
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 252
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 4
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 43
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (253)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (158)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)