Aug 2, 2010, 12:58 PM EDT
The Reds have been in need of an extra bullpen arm for a while this season, and whenever people have started talking about that need, the talk has turned to Aroldis Chapman. At first he was off limits because he was starting. And then, after being moved the bullpen he was seen as a non-option because he was, well, sucking.
But now may be the time to call Chapman up because he’s tearing it up down in Louisville lately: he’s posted a 0.82 ERA and held opponents to a .175 batting average over his last 11 innings, with a 17/6 K/BB ratio over that time.
I still think that Champman needs to be given every chance to be a starter. But I also never thought the Reds would be in a pennant race into August either, so maybe it may be better to punt those plans until next spring.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)