Aug 2, 2010, 12:58 PM EST
The Reds have been in need of an extra bullpen arm for a while this season, and whenever people have started talking about that need, the talk has turned to Aroldis Chapman. At first he was off limits because he was starting. And then, after being moved the bullpen he was seen as a non-option because he was, well, sucking.
But now may be the time to call Chapman up because he’s tearing it up down in Louisville lately: he’s posted a 0.82 ERA and held opponents to a .175 batting average over his last 11 innings, with a 17/6 K/BB ratio over that time.
I still think that Champman needs to be given every chance to be a starter. But I also never thought the Reds would be in a pennant race into August either, so maybe it may be better to punt those plans until next spring.
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 21
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 19
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 145
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 373
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (373)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (145)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (91)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)