Aug 2, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Buck Showalter met the Baltimore media and Britt Ghiroli takes down just about everything interesting he had to say.
Of particular interest was (a) his comments on restoring pride to the organization (he’s in favor of it) and his somewhat nervous rambling around on the concept of him being a micro manager. I wish he had just been straight and said “Yeah, I am. And if you can find a team in greater need of micro-managing than this bunch, by all means, point me in their direction.” He didn’t say that though, because Showalter is a gentleman.
He did say something very nice and touching. Showalter will be wearing #26 for the Orioles in honor of the late Johnny Oates, who was Showalter’s friend and, as far as I know, the only other guy besides Showalter to manage both the Orioles and the Rangers. Buck, on Johnny:
“The first thing that came to mind was John. And he meant a lot to me in
my life, the impact he had,” said Showalter, who called Oates’ family
first to ask permission. It’s been five and a half years since John
passed away, and not many days go by that I don’t think about how lucky
I was to have him pass my way. He was pretty special.”
Here’s hoping Showalter can turn a once-proud organization around.
- Vin Scully will return in 2016 for his 67th season of broadcasting 6
- The Athletics have a travel-heavy 2016 schedule and unsuccessfully tried to have it altered 6
- Mariners fire general manager Jack Zduriencik 63
- Pedro Martinez wonders if bad chemistry is the reason the Tigers and Mariners are out of contention 48
- Vote of non-confidence: Reds owner says manager Bryan Price won’t be fired before the season is over 22
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 86
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 10
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 40
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (262)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (200)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (123)