Aug 2, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Buck Showalter met the Baltimore media and Britt Ghiroli takes down just about everything interesting he had to say.
Of particular interest was (a) his comments on restoring pride to the organization (he’s in favor of it) and his somewhat nervous rambling around on the concept of him being a micro manager. I wish he had just been straight and said “Yeah, I am. And if you can find a team in greater need of micro-managing than this bunch, by all means, point me in their direction.” He didn’t say that though, because Showalter is a gentleman.
He did say something very nice and touching. Showalter will be wearing #26 for the Orioles in honor of the late Johnny Oates, who was Showalter’s friend and, as far as I know, the only other guy besides Showalter to manage both the Orioles and the Rangers. Buck, on Johnny:
“The first thing that came to mind was John. And he meant a lot to me in
my life, the impact he had,” said Showalter, who called Oates’ family
first to ask permission. It’s been five and a half years since John
passed away, and not many days go by that I don’t think about how lucky
I was to have him pass my way. He was pretty special.”
Here’s hoping Showalter can turn a once-proud organization around.
- The Tigers are going to “reboot;” plan to trade Price and Cespedes 5
- Dodgers acquire Mat Latos and Michael Morse from Marlins 40
- Why do managers wear uniforms anyway? 41
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 31
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 24
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 52
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 65
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)