Aug 2, 2010, 5:28 PM EDT
Buck Showalter met the Baltimore media and Britt Ghiroli takes down just about everything interesting he had to say.
Of particular interest was (a) his comments on restoring pride to the organization (he’s in favor of it) and his somewhat nervous rambling around on the concept of him being a micro manager. I wish he had just been straight and said “Yeah, I am. And if you can find a team in greater need of micro-managing than this bunch, by all means, point me in their direction.” He didn’t say that though, because Showalter is a gentleman.
He did say something very nice and touching. Showalter will be wearing #26 for the Orioles in honor of the late Johnny Oates, who was Showalter’s friend and, as far as I know, the only other guy besides Showalter to manage both the Orioles and the Rangers. Buck, on Johnny:
“The first thing that came to mind was John. And he meant a lot to me in
my life, the impact he had,” said Showalter, who called Oates’ family
first to ask permission. It’s been five and a half years since John
passed away, and not many days go by that I don’t think about how lucky
I was to have him pass my way. He was pretty special.”
Here’s hoping Showalter can turn a once-proud organization around.
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Is Barry Bonds really getting a “fair hearing?” (90)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (89)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (82)
- Giants players love having Barry Bonds at spring training (78)