Aug 2, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Santana’s left knee tested well with the training staff. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
9:43 PM: You hate to see things like this.
Carlos Santana left Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the seventh inning after suffering an apparent serious injury to his left leg in a collision with Ryan Kalish at home plate. The 24-year-old backstop had to carted off the field.
Santana received the throw from right field, but by the time he turned his body back to the baserunner, his leg was bent the wrong way on the slide by Kalish. Despite being in unimaginable pain, Santana was able to hang onto the ball and secure the out.
I’m not a doctor, so I hate to speculate on stuff like this, but as our own Aaron Gleeman noted on Twitter, they put an air splint on his leg before he was carted off. It doesn’t look good.
If this is the last we see of Santana this season, he put together a .260/.401/.467 batting line to go along with six home runs, 22 RBI, an 867 OPS and a very impressive 29/37 K/BB ratio over his first 150 at-bats in the big leagues. We can’t wait to see more.
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 13
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 17
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 48
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 134
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)