Aug 2, 2010, 10:58 PM EST
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Santana’s left knee tested well with the training staff. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
9:43 PM: You hate to see things like this.
Carlos Santana left Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the seventh inning after suffering an apparent serious injury to his left leg in a collision with Ryan Kalish at home plate. The 24-year-old backstop had to carted off the field.
Santana received the throw from right field, but by the time he turned his body back to the baserunner, his leg was bent the wrong way on the slide by Kalish. Despite being in unimaginable pain, Santana was able to hang onto the ball and secure the out.
I’m not a doctor, so I hate to speculate on stuff like this, but as our own Aaron Gleeman noted on Twitter, they put an air splint on his leg before he was carted off. It doesn’t look good.
If this is the last we see of Santana this season, he put together a .260/.401/.467 batting line to go along with six home runs, 22 RBI, an 867 OPS and a very impressive 29/37 K/BB ratio over his first 150 at-bats in the big leagues. We can’t wait to see more.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” (86)