Aug 2, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Santana’s left knee tested well with the training staff. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
9:43 PM: You hate to see things like this.
Carlos Santana left Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the seventh inning after suffering an apparent serious injury to his left leg in a collision with Ryan Kalish at home plate. The 24-year-old backstop had to carted off the field.
Santana received the throw from right field, but by the time he turned his body back to the baserunner, his leg was bent the wrong way on the slide by Kalish. Despite being in unimaginable pain, Santana was able to hang onto the ball and secure the out.
I’m not a doctor, so I hate to speculate on stuff like this, but as our own Aaron Gleeman noted on Twitter, they put an air splint on his leg before he was carted off. It doesn’t look good.
If this is the last we see of Santana this season, he put together a .260/.401/.467 batting line to go along with six home runs, 22 RBI, an 867 OPS and a very impressive 29/37 K/BB ratio over his first 150 at-bats in the big leagues. We can’t wait to see more.
- MLB suspends Jonathan Papelbon seven games for incident during Sunday’s game 30
- VIDEO: Jacob deGrom begins game with eight straight strikeouts to tie MLB record 8
- Bud Selig says MLB and players union will meet this week about domestic abuse policy 7
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 67
- Cuban slugger Yasmani Tomas to command $100 million? 29
- Bruce and Brett Bochy make MLB history 32
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Zack Greinke homers, Dodgers demolish the Giants 17-0 at AT&T Park 20
- Chris Davis suspended 25 games for amphetamine use (92)
- A few thoughts about the discrimination lawsuit against the Mets (91)
- Giancarlo Stanton diagnosed with multiple facial fractures and dental damage (91)
- Bud Selig can’t remember the last domestic violence incident in Major League Baseball (87)
- A couple of initial thoughts on the Chris Davis suspension (83)