Aug 2, 2010, 10:58 PM EST
UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Santana’s left knee tested well with the training staff. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Tuesday.
9:43 PM: You hate to see things like this.
Carlos Santana left Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the seventh inning after suffering an apparent serious injury to his left leg in a collision with Ryan Kalish at home plate. The 24-year-old backstop had to carted off the field.
Santana received the throw from right field, but by the time he turned his body back to the baserunner, his leg was bent the wrong way on the slide by Kalish. Despite being in unimaginable pain, Santana was able to hang onto the ball and secure the out.
I’m not a doctor, so I hate to speculate on stuff like this, but as our own Aaron Gleeman noted on Twitter, they put an air splint on his leg before he was carted off. It doesn’t look good.
If this is the last we see of Santana this season, he put together a .260/.401/.467 batting line to go along with six home runs, 22 RBI, an 867 OPS and a very impressive 29/37 K/BB ratio over his first 150 at-bats in the big leagues. We can’t wait to see more.
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 13
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 70
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (125)