UPDATE: Carlos Santana suffers apparent serious leg injury

Aug 2, 2010, 10:58 PM EDT

UPDATE: According to the team’s Twitter feed, Santana’s left knee tested well with the training staff. He is scheduled to undergo an MRI on Tuesday.

9:43 PM: You hate to see things like this.

Carlos Santana left Monday’s game against the Red Sox in the seventh inning after suffering an apparent serious injury to his left leg in a collision with Ryan Kalish at home plate. The 24-year-old backstop had to carted off the field.

Santana received the throw from right field, but by the time he turned his body back to the baserunner, his leg was bent the wrong way on the slide by Kalish. Despite being in unimaginable pain, Santana was able to hang onto the ball and secure the out.

I’m not a doctor, so I hate to speculate on stuff like this, but as our own Aaron Gleeman noted on Twitter, they put an air splint on his leg before he was carted off. It doesn’t look good.

If this is the last we see of Santana this season, he put together a .260/.401/.467 batting line to go along with six home runs, 22 RBI, an 867 OPS and a very impressive 29/37 K/BB ratio over his first 150 at-bats in the big leagues. We can’t wait to see more.

1. Cheap Seat Chronicles - Aug 2, 2010 at 10:01 PM

I didn’t see the play, but I’m hearing about it everywhere. Some people are saying it looks like a potential career-ender.
    Here’s to hoping it’s not nearly that bad, Santana is a special player who has all the tools, it sucks to think his rookie year might end like this, it’d be even worse if this impacted what should be a very good, very lengthy career.
    Here’s hoping the kid has a speedy recovery.

2. riscifiguy - Aug 2, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I saw it on tv over and over and over ugh!
    Quite a train wreck. Keep the kids away from this one.
    Reminded me of the Joe Thiesman injury years ago.
    I wish him well but do not expet him back this year AT LEAST.
    Catchers use their knees way to much for a quick comeback.

3. JBerardi - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:15 AM

I don’t know what “tested well with the training staff” is supposed to mean, but I was watching this game and it didn’t test well with me at all. It looked like the knee injury to end all knee injuries.

4. RedLeg15 - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:42 AM

From seeing the play on BBTN I can’t say that it is career ending. It may mean he won’t be a catcher anymore… The kid can hit. 1B isn’t out of the question let alone DH

5. Matt S. - Aug 3, 2010 at 8:33 AM

I think losing the shoe was the best thing to happen to him.

6. Ditto65 - Aug 3, 2010 at 8:59 AM

Apparently the gut instinct when experiencing such pain is to hold on to whatever is in your hand.

7. geoknows - Aug 3, 2010 at 9:23 AM

My first thought also was Joe Theisman. It hurt to watch.

8. Florida727 - Aug 3, 2010 at 9:35 AM

looked a lot like Willis McGahee’s injury at Miami in his last college football game, but in that case they said all the ligaments in his knee went so he had to have his entire knee reconstructed. for a catcher? wow. that could be a career-ender, at least at that position. good thing he’ll be able to play 1B or DH.

The Jon Lester-Yoenis Cespedes trade is a win-win