Aug 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Arizona sending Edwin Jackson to Chicago for pitching prospects Daniel Hudson and David Holmberg struck me as one of the best moves of the trade deadline and the early returns are certainly encouraging.
Hudson made his Diamondbacks debut yesterday against the Mets and tossed eight innings of one-run ball in a blowout victory, allowing just three hits and one walk in a 110-pitch outing.
Many people doubt whether Hudson’s raw stuff will enable him to be more than a back-of-the-rotation starter or middle reliever in the majors, but his minor-league track record is excellent and I think he’ll do well in Arizona. Plus, even if he proves to be merely a decent fourth or fifth starter Hudson will be far more valuable to the Diamondbacks than Jackson will be for the White Sox.
Jackson has a no-hitter and much better raw stuff than Hudson, yet he has a 5.16 ERA this season and a 4.74 mark for his career. While the White Sox are on the hook to pay him $8.25 million for that mediocre pitching next season, Hudson will be making the minimum salary in Arizona for the next three seasons and will be under team control through 2015.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)