Aug 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EDT
Arizona sending Edwin Jackson to Chicago for pitching prospects Daniel Hudson and David Holmberg struck me as one of the best moves of the trade deadline and the early returns are certainly encouraging.
Hudson made his Diamondbacks debut yesterday against the Mets and tossed eight innings of one-run ball in a blowout victory, allowing just three hits and one walk in a 110-pitch outing.
Many people doubt whether Hudson’s raw stuff will enable him to be more than a back-of-the-rotation starter or middle reliever in the majors, but his minor-league track record is excellent and I think he’ll do well in Arizona. Plus, even if he proves to be merely a decent fourth or fifth starter Hudson will be far more valuable to the Diamondbacks than Jackson will be for the White Sox.
Jackson has a no-hitter and much better raw stuff than Hudson, yet he has a 5.16 ERA this season and a 4.74 mark for his career. While the White Sox are on the hook to pay him $8.25 million for that mediocre pitching next season, Hudson will be making the minimum salary in Arizona for the next three seasons and will be under team control through 2015.
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 0
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 67
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 215
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 44
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (215)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)