Aug 2, 2010, 12:19 PM EST
Arizona sending Edwin Jackson to Chicago for pitching prospects Daniel Hudson and David Holmberg struck me as one of the best moves of the trade deadline and the early returns are certainly encouraging.
Hudson made his Diamondbacks debut yesterday against the Mets and tossed eight innings of one-run ball in a blowout victory, allowing just three hits and one walk in a 110-pitch outing.
Many people doubt whether Hudson’s raw stuff will enable him to be more than a back-of-the-rotation starter or middle reliever in the majors, but his minor-league track record is excellent and I think he’ll do well in Arizona. Plus, even if he proves to be merely a decent fourth or fifth starter Hudson will be far more valuable to the Diamondbacks than Jackson will be for the White Sox.
Jackson has a no-hitter and much better raw stuff than Hudson, yet he has a 5.16 ERA this season and a 4.74 mark for his career. While the White Sox are on the hook to pay him $8.25 million for that mediocre pitching next season, Hudson will be making the minimum salary in Arizona for the next three seasons and will be under team control through 2015.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (158)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (133)