Grant Balfour's injury came from wrestling with his pitching coach

Aug 2, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT

The Chad Qualls trade was a head scratcher at the time, but it was explained later in the day on Saturday when it was revealed that Rays’ setup man Grant Balfour was injured.  Turns out that injury, however, was pretty preventable: he got it while “messing around . . . wrestling, in a way” with pitching coach Jim Hickey.

On the scale of dumb injuries this year I place this below Chris Coghlan’s pie-in-the-face injury, but above Kendry Morales’ walkoff-win celebration injury. My thinking: it was more spontaneous and natural than the pies — dudes play grab-ass from time to time and this stuff happens — but didn’t come in as glorious of circumstances as Kendry Morales’ injury.

1. Old Gator - Aug 2, 2010 at 10:42 AM

I agree with the rankings for a change. Maybe at the end of the season when you post your final power rankings, you can also post an all-idiot DL ranking as well. Let’s look more closely at the Feelies and Beanbags, shall we?

2. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 2, 2010 at 10:57 AM

But it is NOT worse than Ryan “Mad Dog” Madsen losing his battle on the field…then losing his battle with a metal chair and landing on the DL for 2 freaking months!!!! That is the bonehead move of the year.

3. schiver - Aug 2, 2010 at 10:58 AM

Yeah, where’s Ryan Madson’s injury on this list?

4. Kiwicricket - Aug 2, 2010 at 1:33 PM

Don’t forget muscle pulling sneezes. Different context sure, but I can actually understand kicking something. Hurting myself sneezing? I just can’t fathom. This ‘grab-ass’ business concerns me…is it as endemic as PED’s were during the 90′s? The new scourge of the clubhouse, only ever really talked about by a wink of an eye, or a nod of the head? Should head trainers be looking out for it?

5. Reflex - Aug 2, 2010 at 5:28 PM

My father threw out his back pretty severely when he sneezed while getting out of bed. Its all about when you sneeze and what position your in when it happens. Its a pretty violent and uncontrolled motion when it happens, its really amazing people don’t get hurt more when sneezing.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3495)