Aug 2, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
The Chad Qualls trade was a head scratcher at the time, but it was explained later in the day on Saturday when it was revealed that Rays’ setup man Grant Balfour was injured. Turns out that injury, however, was pretty preventable: he got it while “messing around . . . wrestling, in a way” with pitching coach Jim Hickey.
On the scale of dumb injuries this year I place this below Chris Coghlan’s pie-in-the-face injury, but above Kendry Morales’ walkoff-win celebration injury. My thinking: it was more spontaneous and natural than the pies — dudes play grab-ass from time to time and this stuff happens — but didn’t come in as glorious of circumstances as Kendry Morales’ injury.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- MLBPA files grievance against Astros in regard to draft pick situation 28
- The eyes have it: Thomas’ greatness built on patience 13
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams 191
- Mariners re-acquire Kendrys Morales from Twins for Stephen Pryor 21
- A’s designate $10 million reliever Jim Johnson for assignment 35
- Everything you need to know about next week’s trade deadline 35
- Impending free agent Jon Lester won’t talk contract with the Red Sox until after the season 19
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (191)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (162)
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres (108)
- Who is the next Face of Baseball? (97)
- David Ortiz passes Carl Yastrzemski on the all-time home run list — is he a Hall of Famer? (92)