Aug 2, 2010, 10:30 AM EDT
The Chad Qualls trade was a head scratcher at the time, but it was explained later in the day on Saturday when it was revealed that Rays’ setup man Grant Balfour was injured. Turns out that injury, however, was pretty preventable: he got it while “messing around . . . wrestling, in a way” with pitching coach Jim Hickey.
On the scale of dumb injuries this year I place this below Chris Coghlan’s pie-in-the-face injury, but above Kendry Morales’ walkoff-win celebration injury. My thinking: it was more spontaneous and natural than the pies — dudes play grab-ass from time to time and this stuff happens — but didn’t come in as glorious of circumstances as Kendry Morales’ injury.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)