Aug 2, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
The Chad Qualls trade was a head scratcher at the time, but it was explained later in the day on Saturday when it was revealed that Rays’ setup man Grant Balfour was injured. Turns out that injury, however, was pretty preventable: he got it while “messing around . . . wrestling, in a way” with pitching coach Jim Hickey.
On the scale of dumb injuries this year I place this below Chris Coghlan’s pie-in-the-face injury, but above Kendry Morales’ walkoff-win celebration injury. My thinking: it was more spontaneous and natural than the pies — dudes play grab-ass from time to time and this stuff happens — but didn’t come in as glorious of circumstances as Kendry Morales’ injury.
- Keith Law Ranks the Farm Systems: Yay for Chicago! Boo for Detroit! 14
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 153
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 33
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 36
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (155)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (94)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)