Aug 2, 2010, 10:30 AM EST
The Chad Qualls trade was a head scratcher at the time, but it was explained later in the day on Saturday when it was revealed that Rays’ setup man Grant Balfour was injured. Turns out that injury, however, was pretty preventable: he got it while “messing around . . . wrestling, in a way” with pitching coach Jim Hickey.
On the scale of dumb injuries this year I place this below Chris Coghlan’s pie-in-the-face injury, but above Kendry Morales’ walkoff-win celebration injury. My thinking: it was more spontaneous and natural than the pies — dudes play grab-ass from time to time and this stuff happens — but didn’t come in as glorious of circumstances as Kendry Morales’ injury.
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 22
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 44
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 21
- Matt Kemp remains “in play” for the Red Sox 56
- Robinson Cano “didn’t want to play” for Joe Girardi 106
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (111)