Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
When the Cubs and Dodgers were hammering out the Ted Lilly trade over the weekend, GM Jim Hendry asked for the input from his assistant, Greg Maddux. According to the Chicago Tribune, Maddux gave the thumbs up to the team acquiring Blake DeWitt.
On the one hand: cool. Maddux is The Man, I would love to see him do more in baseball, and maybe if he starts getting involved in personnel moves he’ll become a GM or something and my 20-year man-crush will have new fuel to keep it burning.
On the other hand, I hope for the Cubs’ sake that Jim Hendry really didn’t need to seek outside input to realize that an uber-cheap, team-controlled second baseman with some decent on-base ability was a really good thing to have on a team that’s basically in rebuild mode. Because that’s kind of obvious, ain’t it?
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (213)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (124)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)