Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 AM EST
When the Cubs and Dodgers were hammering out the Ted Lilly trade over the weekend, GM Jim Hendry asked for the input from his assistant, Greg Maddux. According to the Chicago Tribune, Maddux gave the thumbs up to the team acquiring Blake DeWitt.
On the one hand: cool. Maddux is The Man, I would love to see him do more in baseball, and maybe if he starts getting involved in personnel moves he’ll become a GM or something and my 20-year man-crush will have new fuel to keep it burning.
On the other hand, I hope for the Cubs’ sake that Jim Hendry really didn’t need to seek outside input to realize that an uber-cheap, team-controlled second baseman with some decent on-base ability was a really good thing to have on a team that’s basically in rebuild mode. Because that’s kind of obvious, ain’t it?
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 62
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 93
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 17
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 28
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 35
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 89
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (99)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)