Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
When the Cubs and Dodgers were hammering out the Ted Lilly trade over the weekend, GM Jim Hendry asked for the input from his assistant, Greg Maddux. According to the Chicago Tribune, Maddux gave the thumbs up to the team acquiring Blake DeWitt.
On the one hand: cool. Maddux is The Man, I would love to see him do more in baseball, and maybe if he starts getting involved in personnel moves he’ll become a GM or something and my 20-year man-crush will have new fuel to keep it burning.
On the other hand, I hope for the Cubs’ sake that Jim Hendry really didn’t need to seek outside input to realize that an uber-cheap, team-controlled second baseman with some decent on-base ability was a really good thing to have on a team that’s basically in rebuild mode. Because that’s kind of obvious, ain’t it?
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 340
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 79
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 52
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 149
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 44
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 99
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (341)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (161)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (161)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)