Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
When the Cubs and Dodgers were hammering out the Ted Lilly trade over the weekend, GM Jim Hendry asked for the input from his assistant, Greg Maddux. According to the Chicago Tribune, Maddux gave the thumbs up to the team acquiring Blake DeWitt.
On the one hand: cool. Maddux is The Man, I would love to see him do more in baseball, and maybe if he starts getting involved in personnel moves he’ll become a GM or something and my 20-year man-crush will have new fuel to keep it burning.
On the other hand, I hope for the Cubs’ sake that Jim Hendry really didn’t need to seek outside input to realize that an uber-cheap, team-controlled second baseman with some decent on-base ability was a really good thing to have on a team that’s basically in rebuild mode. Because that’s kind of obvious, ain’t it?
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 0
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 14
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 80
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 20
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)