Aug 2, 2010, 9:55 AM EDT
When the Cubs and Dodgers were hammering out the Ted Lilly trade over the weekend, GM Jim Hendry asked for the input from his assistant, Greg Maddux. According to the Chicago Tribune, Maddux gave the thumbs up to the team acquiring Blake DeWitt.
On the one hand: cool. Maddux is The Man, I would love to see him do more in baseball, and maybe if he starts getting involved in personnel moves he’ll become a GM or something and my 20-year man-crush will have new fuel to keep it burning.
On the other hand, I hope for the Cubs’ sake that Jim Hendry really didn’t need to seek outside input to realize that an uber-cheap, team-controlled second baseman with some decent on-base ability was a really good thing to have on a team that’s basically in rebuild mode. Because that’s kind of obvious, ain’t it?
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 2
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 9
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 17
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)