Aug 2, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
The trade deadline was redonkulous — we here at HBT had over 100 posts between Friday and Saturday — but you can at least begin to scratch the surface by checking out a handy dandy rundown of all the deals as well as our take on the deadline’s winners and losers.
Beyond trade deadline insanity:
- Jeremy Hellickson will make his Rays debut tonight. They just print good young pitchers down there in Tampa, huh?
- What they’re saying about the Lance Berkman trade. You’ll be shocked to learn that Lupica is angry that the Yankees didn’t make a deal that would be easier for him to write about.
- Alex Rodriguez got a day off from the chase for home run number 600 (well, he pinch hit). I continue to find it delicious that New York writers who did nothing but complain about A-Rod’s alleged me-first attitude for years are now growing increasingly annoyed that A-Rod has not achieved a purely personal statistical milestone as fast as they’d like him to.
- 400 career stolen bases for Carl Crawford. His more valuable contribution to society: he’ll one day be the guy that those filming documentaries about the Tampa Bay Rays dynasty go to in order to talk about the “Devil Rays” era.
- Sprained ankle for Ryan Howard. We’re one Jayson Werth injury away from someone yelling “bingo!” or “Yahtzee!” or something.
- Brett Myers gets an extension from the Astros. If you had Myers in the “who will be the stabilizing veteran force during the Astros’ rebuild” pool, please collect your winnings at the window.
- Ozzie Guillen says something incendiary and provocative. In other news, grass is green, politicians are intellectually dishonest, and cornbread is tasty.
- Stephen Strasburg says he feels good. Let’s see how many times the Nats schedule him to start in order to sell tickets and then scratch him right before game time.
- History is not on the Red Sox’ side. Which, if form holds, will just be the latest excuse Red Sox fans will use to justify launching into their patented “nobody believes in us” claptrap.
And now, without further ado, let us begin the week.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)