Aug 2, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
The trade deadline was redonkulous — we here at HBT had over 100 posts between Friday and Saturday — but you can at least begin to scratch the surface by checking out a handy dandy rundown of all the deals as well as our take on the deadline’s winners and losers.
Beyond trade deadline insanity:
- Jeremy Hellickson will make his Rays debut tonight. They just print good young pitchers down there in Tampa, huh?
- What they’re saying about the Lance Berkman trade. You’ll be shocked to learn that Lupica is angry that the Yankees didn’t make a deal that would be easier for him to write about.
- Alex Rodriguez got a day off from the chase for home run number 600 (well, he pinch hit). I continue to find it delicious that New York writers who did nothing but complain about A-Rod’s alleged me-first attitude for years are now growing increasingly annoyed that A-Rod has not achieved a purely personal statistical milestone as fast as they’d like him to.
- 400 career stolen bases for Carl Crawford. His more valuable contribution to society: he’ll one day be the guy that those filming documentaries about the Tampa Bay Rays dynasty go to in order to talk about the “Devil Rays” era.
- Sprained ankle for Ryan Howard. We’re one Jayson Werth injury away from someone yelling “bingo!” or “Yahtzee!” or something.
- Brett Myers gets an extension from the Astros. If you had Myers in the “who will be the stabilizing veteran force during the Astros’ rebuild” pool, please collect your winnings at the window.
- Ozzie Guillen says something incendiary and provocative. In other news, grass is green, politicians are intellectually dishonest, and cornbread is tasty.
- Stephen Strasburg says he feels good. Let’s see how many times the Nats schedule him to start in order to sell tickets and then scratch him right before game time.
- History is not on the Red Sox’ side. Which, if form holds, will just be the latest excuse Red Sox fans will use to justify launching into their patented “nobody believes in us” claptrap.
And now, without further ado, let us begin the week.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 4
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 18
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)