Aug 2, 2010, 8:25 AM EDT
The trade deadline was redonkulous — we here at HBT had over 100 posts between Friday and Saturday — but you can at least begin to scratch the surface by checking out a handy dandy rundown of all the deals as well as our take on the deadline’s winners and losers.
Beyond trade deadline insanity:
- Jeremy Hellickson will make his Rays debut tonight. They just print good young pitchers down there in Tampa, huh?
- What they’re saying about the Lance Berkman trade. You’ll be shocked to learn that Lupica is angry that the Yankees didn’t make a deal that would be easier for him to write about.
- Alex Rodriguez got a day off from the chase for home run number 600 (well, he pinch hit). I continue to find it delicious that New York writers who did nothing but complain about A-Rod’s alleged me-first attitude for years are now growing increasingly annoyed that A-Rod has not achieved a purely personal statistical milestone as fast as they’d like him to.
- 400 career stolen bases for Carl Crawford. His more valuable contribution to society: he’ll one day be the guy that those filming documentaries about the Tampa Bay Rays dynasty go to in order to talk about the “Devil Rays” era.
- Sprained ankle for Ryan Howard. We’re one Jayson Werth injury away from someone yelling “bingo!” or “Yahtzee!” or something.
- Brett Myers gets an extension from the Astros. If you had Myers in the “who will be the stabilizing veteran force during the Astros’ rebuild” pool, please collect your winnings at the window.
- Ozzie Guillen says something incendiary and provocative. In other news, grass is green, politicians are intellectually dishonest, and cornbread is tasty.
- Stephen Strasburg says he feels good. Let’s see how many times the Nats schedule him to start in order to sell tickets and then scratch him right before game time.
- History is not on the Red Sox’ side. Which, if form holds, will just be the latest excuse Red Sox fans will use to justify launching into their patented “nobody believes in us” claptrap.
And now, without further ado, let us begin the week.
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee struggles in first start back from disabled list 13
- On the 10th anniversary of his MLB debut, let’s appreciate David Wright 29
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 36
- Odrisamer Despaigne loses his no-hitter with two outs in the eighth inning 8
- Brandon Belt headed to disabled list with concussion 5
- Cardinals are interested in David Price, but “would want a financial commitment” from him 47
- Blue Jays, Giants “taking their best shot” at Chase Utley 19
- Baseball is dying, you guys (149)
- Luke Scott released from Korean team after calling coach a “liar” and a “coward” (108)
- Watch Derek Jeter tell Joe Buck to get the heck out of the clubhouse (91)
- Adam Wainwright follows the rules and pays the price (90)
- The Astros did not sign number one overall pick Brady Aiken. This is a big deal. (90)