Aug 2, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Howard Megdal has been fancifully campaigning to be the Mets next general manager for some time now. The campaign hit a few bumps in the road when the Mets were, you know, winning baseball games. That’s all fixed now, so ESPN.com has given him an open mike to state his case. It’s long, but Mets fans in particular will find it worth reading. Best part: Howard doesn’t just talk about player moves, but how best to lift up fans’ spirits too and to make being a Mets fan in a city that has turned into the Yankees’ playground such a depressing experience.
My only criticism: the name “Wilpon” is mentioned only once, and that’s in praise at the family’s historic willingness to spend money. I think there’s ample evidence to suggest, however, that if Howard were somehow “elected” the Mets’ next general manager, he’d be undermined just as much as Omar Minaya has been over the past couple of years.
To be fair, though, I think Howard is starting from a much higher baseline of competence, so he’d likely improve the team even if he were undermined.
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 21
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 31
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Cubs expected to call up Javier Baez on September 1 6
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 13
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)