Aug 2, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT
Howard Megdal has been fancifully campaigning to be the Mets next general manager for some time now. The campaign hit a few bumps in the road when the Mets were, you know, winning baseball games. That’s all fixed now, so ESPN.com has given him an open mike to state his case. It’s long, but Mets fans in particular will find it worth reading. Best part: Howard doesn’t just talk about player moves, but how best to lift up fans’ spirits too and to make being a Mets fan in a city that has turned into the Yankees’ playground such a depressing experience.
My only criticism: the name “Wilpon” is mentioned only once, and that’s in praise at the family’s historic willingness to spend money. I think there’s ample evidence to suggest, however, that if Howard were somehow “elected” the Mets’ next general manager, he’d be undermined just as much as Omar Minaya has been over the past couple of years.
To be fair, though, I think Howard is starting from a much higher baseline of competence, so he’d likely improve the team even if he were undermined.
- “Final Vote” balloting opens for 2015 MLB All-Star Game 18
- Pitchers and reserves for 2015 MLB All-Star Game announced 49
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 50
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced 103
- That time Manny Ramirez nearly became a Met 10
- Phillies acquire No. 1 international signing slot for 2015-2016 from the Diamondbacks 20
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 9
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 40
- AL and NL Starters for the 2015 All-Star Game announced (103)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)