How to fix the New York Mets

Aug 2, 2010, 4:03 PM EDT

Howard Megdal has been fancifully campaigning to be the Mets next general manager for some time now. The campaign hit a few bumps in the road when the Mets were, you know, winning baseball games.  That’s all fixed now, so ESPN.com has given him an open mike to state his case.  It’s long, but Mets fans in particular will find it worth reading.  Best part: Howard doesn’t just talk about player moves, but how best to lift up fans’ spirits too and to make being a Mets fan in a city that has turned into the Yankees’ playground such a depressing experience.

My only criticism: the name “Wilpon” is mentioned only once, and that’s in praise at the family’s historic willingness to spend money.  I think there’s ample evidence to suggest, however, that if Howard were somehow “elected” the Mets’ next general manager, he’d be undermined just as much as Omar Minaya has been over the past couple of years.

To be fair, though, I think Howard is starting from a much higher baseline of competence, so he’d likely improve the team even if he were undermined.

1. BC - Aug 2, 2010 at 4:14 PM

My advice on how to fix the Mets: heavy drinking. I mean, that’s how I got through my math major in college, so there is precedent.

2. Jonny5 - Aug 2, 2010 at 4:37 PM

I’d say gasoline and a match. No really. They should trade everyone for good prospects.

3. Old Gator - Aug 2, 2010 at 4:52 PM

What a terrific article. I wish it were applicable to the Feesh but, of course, there’s nothing really wrong with our GM. He’s like the poor captive entomologist in Woman in the Dunes, working his ass off cranking sand out of the house while more blows in. The problem in Macondo is with Scrooge McLoria and the Chihuahua. Wilpon may subvert Minaya, but the Prince of Penury keeps Larry Beinfest on a short leash when the Chihuahua is the one who ought to be leashed….and muzzled.
    So what would I do if I were the owner of the Feesh? Let me compose my thoughts.

4. YankeesfanLen - Aug 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM

Chuck Schumer better watch out if this guy wants to run for Senator.
    Third paragraph from the end reads like the “I’ll Be There” speech by Henry Fonda in Grapes of Wrath.
    Do you hear Brian Cashman carrying on like this?

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM

The only thing I find dispiriting is that everyone seems to think we have compare everything the Mets do with what those other guys do. The Yankees are not the Mets’ rivals. The Phils and Braves are. Period. And I really don’t care that fair weather fans are running to watch those other guys. Let them go. I am a Mets fan, and I have never found that depressing. Exhuasting, maybe. But always worth my time. (Try being a Knicks fan for depressing. Or an Islanders fan.)
    That said, I see a team that has lots of talent and spirit this year, and a farm system that has begun to turn the corner. It may take a little while till everything is in place, but it’s not like the Mets have been a bad team for a long time. Underachieving, yes, but only bad last season and some of this one. Otherwise, I can be patient. (I refuse to claim that you cannot rebuild in NYC. That’s nonsense. The Yankees have, the Mets have, every team has.)
    Which isn’t to say i would do much to save Minaya’s job. But I just don’t feel all that down and out. Never have, never will.

6. Kiwicricket - Aug 2, 2010 at 5:06 PM

As with my nations Rugby team, they just seem to have quite a few really ‘thick’ players. I know, not PC of me to comment like that, but I assure you after suffering years of misery watching smarter teams win World Cups, it’s obvious from an outsiders point of view. It’s not a poke at NY, it just seems to me that the Mets play a lot of ‘dumb’ baseball more often than other teams of a certain caliber. (A guys intelligence/education is not always a limiting factor in how smart his play is by the way)

7. willmose - Aug 2, 2010 at 6:24 PM

The Mets are unfixable in this universe. In the parallel universe where Cubs have more World Championships than the Yankees, Mets might be fixable.

8. Old Gator - Aug 2, 2010 at 7:53 PM

That’s pretty severe, Will….

Three legends off to Cooperstown