Aug 2, 2010, 11:54 AM EST
I always wondered what happened to interim managers when they were replaced. You always hear about them being reassigned and stuff, but I had always assumed that was a euphemism for what I suspect really happened to them: getting rolled up in a carpet and dumped in a ravine someplace. In light of that, I’ve always considered being an interim manager only a slightly more desirable job than being the #2 guy in Al Qaeda: a shaky-at-best gig that lasted only until you heard the drones coming for you.
But not so with Juan Samuel! He’s sticking with the Orioles after Buck Showalter takes over and, according to MLB.com’s Britt Ghiroli, he’ll be scouting in the Dominican Republic. Of course he’s from the Dominican Republic so this could very well be a “go home, relax, get paid, and if we hear from you we hear from you” kind of gig.
Now, if you’ll excuse me, I’m going to write another letter to that nice family in the country my parents sent our dog to live with back in 1981. I hope Old Ben is still happy chasing rabbits all day!
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 61
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 31
- Braves sign setup man Jason Grilli to two-year contract 13
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot 119
- Phil Hughes signs a three-year extension with the Twins 27
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 23
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 63
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- My Imaginary Hall of Fame Ballot (119)
- Today’s specious anti-Mike Piazza-for-the-Hall-Fame argument (93)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” (85)