Aug 2, 2010, 9:10 AM EDT
Ken Rosenthal reports that the Red Sox nearly had a deal in place on Friday that would have had Mike Lowell going to the Yankees. Not directly — the Rangers would have been used as an intermediary in a three-way trade — but for all practical purposes it would have been a Yankees-Red Sox trade. Two curious things about this:
1) Rosenthal says that the trade would not have prevented the Yankees from continuing on to do the Berkman trade. He doesn’t mention the Austin Kearns deal, but does anyone else sort of feel like the Yankees are playing with a 35-man roster right now?
2) I love the notion of the Yankees and Red Sox feeling like they can’t do a deal with one another and thus tried to bring the Rangers into it. It’s like the U.S. and the Soviets communicating through the Brazilian government during the Cuban Missile Crisis or something. Detente anyone?
Of course nothing happened, and Mike Lowell — who appears like he can hit and everything based on his latest rehab assignment — remains a man without a country. And maybe soon without a team, as it appears that the Red Sox are going to have no choice but to designate him for assignment.
- The Cardinals have moved ahead of the Brewers for first place in the National League Central 21
- No-hitter! Four Phillies pitchers combine to blank the Braves 60
- Bo Porter fired by the Astros 53
- Settling the Score: Sunday’s results — and a reminder of what Labor Day is all about 47
- Reds trade setup man Jonathan Broxton to the Brewers 18
- Miguel Cabrera sits Sunday with nagging ankle injury 13
- A’s acquire veteran slugger Adam Dunn from the White Sox 54
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 18
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar (74)