Aug 2, 2010, 9:35 PM EST
Stephen Strasburg, who played catch Sunday for the first time since going the disabled list with shoulder inflammation, threw from up to 120 feet Monday with no reported problems, according to Mark Zuckerman of CSNWashington.com.
“Everything was fine,” pitching coach Steve McCatty said.
Strasburg started at 60 feet — the same distance he threw from on Sunday — then gradually increased the distance to 120 feet, putting “a good amount of effort into each long toss,” according to Zuckerman.
The young phenom will face his biggest test yet Tuesday, when he is slated to throw off a mound for the first time. If all goes well, he will have a simulated game Thursday.
Strasburg is eligible to be activated from the 15-day disabled list on Friday, however Nationals manager Jim Riggleman indicated that he won’t likely return until the team’s homestand next week. By Zuckerman’s logic, the simulated start would line him up for Tuesday, August 10 against the Marlins. Sweet. Just two days before Stephen Strasburg DVD night!
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 71
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 40
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 22
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)