Aug 2, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
First Corey Hart, now Rickie Weeks? That’s what Tom Haudricourt is saying, anyway. It’s in the discussion stage right now, but Rickie Weeks could be the next Brewer with a mutli-year deal.
Weeks is having a great year –.276/.375/.488 this year with 22 home runs — but like Hart, we’re probably seeing the top of his production. Depending on the money it may be wise to lock him up, but no one should expect worlds better from him. He turns 28 this fall.
What to make of the Brewers’ spending spree? Just a guess on my part, but I’d make this: they have no plans whatsoever to sign Prince Fielder, and want to do everything they can to lock up as much production as they can right now to lessen the blow of his loss. Which could come as early as this winter if the Brewers play the leverage game correctly.
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 0
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 28
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 45
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 102
- The MLBPA is serious about investigating leaks to reporters regarding Stephen Drew, Kendrys Morales 32