Aug 2, 2010, 3:30 PM EDT
First Corey Hart, now Rickie Weeks? That’s what Tom Haudricourt is saying, anyway. It’s in the discussion stage right now, but Rickie Weeks could be the next Brewer with a mutli-year deal.
Weeks is having a great year –.276/.375/.488 this year with 22 home runs — but like Hart, we’re probably seeing the top of his production. Depending on the money it may be wise to lock him up, but no one should expect worlds better from him. He turns 28 this fall.
What to make of the Brewers’ spending spree? Just a guess on my part, but I’d make this: they have no plans whatsoever to sign Prince Fielder, and want to do everything they can to lock up as much production as they can right now to lessen the blow of his loss. Which could come as early as this winter if the Brewers play the leverage game correctly.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)