Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The deal that brought Jorge Cantu from the Marlins to the Rangers was being talked about all Thursday afternoon. Also going on all Thursday afternoon was the Giants-Marlins game out in San Francisco.
Once the rumors started flying, the bloggers and the tweeters among us kept wondering if and when Cantu would be removed from the game. He wasn’t removed from the game, however. In fact, he went 2 for 4 and scored two runs.
According to Jim Bowden — who was just talking to Rangers’ general manager Jon Daniels on Sirius XM radio, Daniels and other Rangers execs were watching the game with some degree of nervousness. You see, the deal for Cantu had already been done. Everyone was waiting on approval from the Commissioner’s office. Daniels told Bowden that the Rangers people all had their fingers crossed that Cantu wouldn’t pull a hammy or something scoring from second base.
The trade deadline: nuts, baby. That’s why we only do it once a year.
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 7
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 128
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- Cardinals acquire Justin Masterson from Indians 49
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (128)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (124)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)