Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The deal that brought Jorge Cantu from the Marlins to the Rangers was being talked about all Thursday afternoon. Also going on all Thursday afternoon was the Giants-Marlins game out in San Francisco.
Once the rumors started flying, the bloggers and the tweeters among us kept wondering if and when Cantu would be removed from the game. He wasn’t removed from the game, however. In fact, he went 2 for 4 and scored two runs.
According to Jim Bowden — who was just talking to Rangers’ general manager Jon Daniels on Sirius XM radio, Daniels and other Rangers execs were watching the game with some degree of nervousness. You see, the deal for Cantu had already been done. Everyone was waiting on approval from the Commissioner’s office. Daniels told Bowden that the Rangers people all had their fingers crossed that Cantu wouldn’t pull a hammy or something scoring from second base.
The trade deadline: nuts, baby. That’s why we only do it once a year.
- Cardinals GM John Mozeliak: Matt Adams out 3-4 months, possibly the year, with torn quad 22
- Bryce Harper leads in the first round of National League All-Star voting 26
- Buster Olney: The Marlins should hire A-Rod to be their next manager 43
- Breaking down the Braves-Dodgers trade 18
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 34
- So that Juan Uribe trade to the Braves is back on … 11
- Ruben Amaro apologizes for comments about fans, admits he may have been late on rebuild 24
- Jonathan Lucroy expected to rejoin the Brewers on Monday 0
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (96)
- Ichiro Suzuki passes Babe Ruth on the all-time hits list (76)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (71)
- Ruben Amaro dismisses fans who “bitch and complain” about the Phillies’ moves (71)