Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The deal that brought Jorge Cantu from the Marlins to the Rangers was being talked about all Thursday afternoon. Also going on all Thursday afternoon was the Giants-Marlins game out in San Francisco.
Once the rumors started flying, the bloggers and the tweeters among us kept wondering if and when Cantu would be removed from the game. He wasn’t removed from the game, however. In fact, he went 2 for 4 and scored two runs.
According to Jim Bowden — who was just talking to Rangers’ general manager Jon Daniels on Sirius XM radio, Daniels and other Rangers execs were watching the game with some degree of nervousness. You see, the deal for Cantu had already been done. Everyone was waiting on approval from the Commissioner’s office. Daniels told Bowden that the Rangers people all had their fingers crossed that Cantu wouldn’t pull a hammy or something scoring from second base.
The trade deadline: nuts, baby. That’s why we only do it once a year.
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 2
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 47
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 28
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 37
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 7
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (105)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)