Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EST
The deal that brought Jorge Cantu from the Marlins to the Rangers was being talked about all Thursday afternoon. Also going on all Thursday afternoon was the Giants-Marlins game out in San Francisco.
Once the rumors started flying, the bloggers and the tweeters among us kept wondering if and when Cantu would be removed from the game. He wasn’t removed from the game, however. In fact, he went 2 for 4 and scored two runs.
According to Jim Bowden — who was just talking to Rangers’ general manager Jon Daniels on Sirius XM radio, Daniels and other Rangers execs were watching the game with some degree of nervousness. You see, the deal for Cantu had already been done. Everyone was waiting on approval from the Commissioner’s office. Daniels told Bowden that the Rangers people all had their fingers crossed that Cantu wouldn’t pull a hammy or something scoring from second base.
The trade deadline: nuts, baby. That’s why we only do it once a year.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)