Aug 2, 2010, 6:00 PM EDT
The deal that brought Jorge Cantu from the Marlins to the Rangers was being talked about all Thursday afternoon. Also going on all Thursday afternoon was the Giants-Marlins game out in San Francisco.
Once the rumors started flying, the bloggers and the tweeters among us kept wondering if and when Cantu would be removed from the game. He wasn’t removed from the game, however. In fact, he went 2 for 4 and scored two runs.
According to Jim Bowden — who was just talking to Rangers’ general manager Jon Daniels on Sirius XM radio, Daniels and other Rangers execs were watching the game with some degree of nervousness. You see, the deal for Cantu had already been done. Everyone was waiting on approval from the Commissioner’s office. Daniels told Bowden that the Rangers people all had their fingers crossed that Cantu wouldn’t pull a hammy or something scoring from second base.
The trade deadline: nuts, baby. That’s why we only do it once a year.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 31
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 172
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 11
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 37
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 65
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 28
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (173)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)