Aug 3, 2010, 3:41 PM EST
As expected, Ben Sheets has decided to undergo season-ending elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn flexor tendon last month.
Sheets missed all of last season following elbow surgery, so his career could be in jeopardy at this point and he’s unlikely to be much of factor in 2011 even if things go smoothly.
It won’t be the same, it will be slightly different, but I ain’t medical enough to talk in terms. It will be a significantly long time again. Probably about 12 months, I think, then I’ll be back dominating.
Signed to a one-year, $10 million deal this offseason, Sheets went 4-9 with a 4.53 ERA in 20 starts for the A’s before being shut down.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Not everyone is happy about home plate collisions being taken away (131)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)