Aug 3, 2010, 3:41 PM EDT
As expected, Ben Sheets has decided to undergo season-ending elbow surgery after being diagnosed with a torn flexor tendon last month.
Sheets missed all of last season following elbow surgery, so his career could be in jeopardy at this point and he’s unlikely to be much of factor in 2011 even if things go smoothly.
It won’t be the same, it will be slightly different, but I ain’t medical enough to talk in terms. It will be a significantly long time again. Probably about 12 months, I think, then I’ll be back dominating.
Signed to a one-year, $10 million deal this offseason, Sheets went 4-9 with a 4.53 ERA in 20 starts for the A’s before being shut down.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 14
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 6
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 39
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)