Bids are due for the Rangers at 8PM tonight

Aug 3, 2010, 10:58 AM EDT

If you’re planning on buying the Texas Rangers, make sure your bid is in by 8PM tonight, because that’s when the bidding closes. Heck, that gives you most of the day to get your stuff together, so I don’t see why you can’t get in on it too.  All you need is a little information.

For that, go to Maury’s latest post on the subject, which gives us the 10,000 foot view of the process, clarfiying much of the day-to-day much the Rangers bankruptcy and auction has become.

1. The Common Man - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:22 AM

I’ve got $20, anybody want to go in on a bid with me?

2. BC - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:24 AM

I’m in. Let’s make it $40.

3. BC - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:31 AM

Maybe if this process doesn’t work, they can put the team on eBay?

4. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:35 AM

I’m in for ten bucks. But if we win, those prayer meetings have to stop. Superstition has no place in designatedhitterball.

5. The Common Man - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:42 AM

OK fellow future owners of the Texas Rangers, I know it’s a tough economic climate, but $50 is not going to get it done no matter how competent we promise to be, nor how coherent our proposal sounds. So we need additional funding sources. Other investors are welcome in the comments below, but in the meantime does anyone have Mark Cuban’s phone number?

6. lioneldotsoner - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:52 AM

hey bud, thanks for that link http://sportscomplainer.com/mlb . let me know if you find anything like that for olympics

7. BC - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:54 AM

OK. $55.

8. Simon DelMonte - Aug 3, 2010 at 11:59 AM

Count me in for another $20, plus anything I can get on eBay for Rickey Henderson rookie card.

9. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:32 PM

If someone very much onto it, and more sneeky than a french truffle trader happened to organise a bid consisting of a consortium of Major League Players, this would be wildly interesting. Exact same manner as the current collection of funds. Some guy might put in 100K…Jeter puts in 10Million etc etc
    Would a group of players be allowed to bid for the team? I remember it being handed to the best bid no?
    If Jeter wants to own a sports team, I can sure see him flopping out 50mill. ARod has got plenty of coin, but who really wants to share anything with that guy?!
    The mind boggles…..

10. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:36 PM

Who else is out there???
    Mike Hampton is still about! He couldn’t of spent all his money buying male grooming products and getting his eyebrows plucked. Put him down for 10million!

11. John_Michael - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:40 PM

No one bids without a prior bidder. This leads us to regress, from which the only escape is prayer and superstition. Someone has to make the first bid, and that someone we call Mark Cuban.

12. BC - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:43 PM

I know there’s a rule against a player owning a team. I think it was Rogers Hornsby or someone of that era that had to sell their share in a team. Can’t recall the exact circumstances. Anyone?

13. BC - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:44 PM

I found it.

14. Kevin S. - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:47 PM

Jeter actually does want to be an owner, and in a theoretical world where he and A-Rod could stomach going into business together, the two of them could probably put together a credible bid for almost any team out there.

15. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:50 PM

I don’t buy into all this silliness about wholly other, infinite, numinous, insufferably moral, all-knowing, invisible, bigoted, cosmic-axial, homophobic, clan-oriented, capricious, tantrum-throwing creator-destroyer beings whose center is everywhere and whose circumference is nowhere.
    But I believe in Mark Cuban.

16. SadPandaRevolt - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:56 PM

**Bows**

17. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:01 PM

Thanks for that. Enough grey area there for my liking! Silent minority owners then?
    They would not be employees as such, so exempt?

18. John_Michael - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:06 PM

I believe in Mark Cuban. I can prove that he exists.
    And it’d be good fodder for Craig if he went out and bought a MLB team.

19. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:12 PM

The thought of ARod owning a team is almost mindblowing. Would he not have an ivory pencil sharpener in his mini mahogany pencil box on a really crass gold plated desk? He would lose the plot, think he was even more wonderful and tremendous than before and just eat himself. I would hire Jeter in a second let alone him as an owner. The guy could soothe sour milk with the media.

20. Old Gator - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:08 PM

I also believe in the Devil. And I’m afraid of Keyser Soze.

21. The Rabbit - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:10 PM

I’m in for $25 and a Powerball ticket for tomorrow night’s drawing. Somebody has to win.

22. The Common Man - Aug 3, 2010 at 5:18 PM

OK, so with the theoretical contribution from Mike Hampton, that puts us at $10,000,150 and the going rate for a Rickey Henderson rookie card. I haven’t looked at Beckett’s lately, so I’m just going to assume it’s $50 or so. Guys, we’re about $789,999,800 short of being a competitive bidder. Give ’til it hurts.

23. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 5:32 PM

Barry Zito has just offered to auction off several guitars and a few pairs of painfully tight retro designer jeans. Should pull in a few thousand (unless Old Gator wants the jeans)

24. Kiwicricket - Aug 3, 2010 at 5:43 PM

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with Olli Perez’ business manager. Basically he told me that they have heavily invested in a ‘triangular scheme of success’ the past 2 years, and that he’s just as big-time as Jeter. Wants in for 20million!!
    Well on our way folks