Aug 3, 2010, 9:05 PM EDT
Barry Bonds’ charity organization, the Barry Bonds Family Foundation, has donated $20,000 to The National Association of Black Journalists.
The donation has stirred a bit of controversy, and it is not sitting well with some members of the NABJ. From the AP:
The gift comes as the former San Francisco Giants slugger prepares for trial on federal charges he lied to a grand jury about steroid use.
Association member Kenneth Cooper says Bonds is a controversial figure and journalists and their organizations should maintain their distance.
Bonds could go on trial in his never-ending perjury case at some point next year, and some members of the NABJ could end up covering the story, so any potential conflict of interest – or just as bad, the appearance of a conflict of interest – is a legitimate concern.
Then again, maybe it’s not that big a deal, as the money will be used to fund an “Entrepreneurial Spirit Award” named after Ray Taliaferro, a long-time Bay Area broadcaster. According to this report, Bonds wanted the award named after Taliaferro “in recognition of the broadcaster’s civic and public contributions to the San Francisco Bay Area.”
So what do you think HBT readers? Is it inappropriate for the NABJ to accept this donation, or is it much ado about nothing? Frankly, given his interactions with journalists over the years, I’m just amazed Bonds would give money to any of them.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 37
- Cliff Lee placed on DL with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 27
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 42
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 49
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 137
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 91
- The Lester trade is a win-win 113
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (200)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (137)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- Tampa Bay news station tweets classless Detroit joke following David Price trade (126)