Aug 3, 2010, 11:15 AM EST
Last night Ivan Rodriguez hit his 307th career homer, 300 of which have come while catching. Rodriguez joins Hall of Famers Mike Piazza, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Bench, and Yogi Berra as the only players in baseball history to amass 300 homers while catching.
And for all the people freaking out about Alex Rodriguez being “stuck” on 599 homers, Ivan Rodriguez went three months, 51 games, and 192 plate appearances between homers.
Rodriguez has been terrible after a strong start to the season, hitting .178 with a .441 OPS in 33 games since mid-June to bring his overall season line down to a career-worst .268/.294/.358. However, because the Nationals signed him to a two-year, $6 million contract this offseason he’ll be back in 2011, although perhaps in more of a backup/mentor role to newly acquired 22-year-old catching prospect Wilson Ramos.
Rodriguez is 218 hits away from 3,000 and seems likely to get a chance to stick around long enough to reach that mark even if his pace has slowed considerably at this point and he’s no longer really a starting-caliber backstop at age 38. And then he’ll be in Cooperstown five years after whenever he decides to retire.
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 25
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 80
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 14
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba 143
- Marlins complete Michael Morse deal: two years, $16 million 19
- Padres, Rays, Mariners discussing trade involving Wil Myers 36
- It is perfectly clear that A-Rod is the Yankees’ DH. At best. So there will be no drama, right? 37
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (110)
- Done Deal: Yoenis Cespedes and two players traded to Detroit for Rick Porcello and a minor leaguer (105)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)