Aug 3, 2010, 11:15 AM EDT
Last night Ivan Rodriguez hit his 307th career homer, 300 of which have come while catching. Rodriguez joins Hall of Famers Mike Piazza, Carlton Fisk, Johnny Bench, and Yogi Berra as the only players in baseball history to amass 300 homers while catching.
And for all the people freaking out about Alex Rodriguez being “stuck” on 599 homers, Ivan Rodriguez went three months, 51 games, and 192 plate appearances between homers.
Rodriguez has been terrible after a strong start to the season, hitting .178 with a .441 OPS in 33 games since mid-June to bring his overall season line down to a career-worst .268/.294/.358. However, because the Nationals signed him to a two-year, $6 million contract this offseason he’ll be back in 2011, although perhaps in more of a backup/mentor role to newly acquired 22-year-old catching prospect Wilson Ramos.
Rodriguez is 218 hits away from 3,000 and seems likely to get a chance to stick around long enough to reach that mark even if his pace has slowed considerably at this point and he’s no longer really a starting-caliber backstop at age 38. And then he’ll be in Cooperstown five years after whenever he decides to retire.
- Miguel Cabrera home run Gif > Yu Darvish pitches Gif 14
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 44
- Report: Zack Wheeler expected to make 2-3 starts in minors before joining Mets 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 112
- Astros vendor brings snow cones into bathroom stall, gets fired 59
- MLB is putting players in camouflage uniforms on Memorial Day. Which is kinda weird. (118)
- Blue Jays fan throws beer at Nate McLouth (118)
- Barry Bonds: Miguel Cabrera is the best … but not as good as me (115)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (112)
- Las Vegas police investigating Jose Canseco as a suspect in sexual assault case (80)
- Live Extra: Watch coverage of Carb Day at Indy
- PHT: Senators fight for playoff lives in Game 5
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- PHT: Kreider keeps Rangers alive | Highlights
- PHT: Kings defend home ice, up 3-2 | Highlights