Aug 3, 2010, 8:19 PM EST
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Mark Prior signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League. He was in uniform Tuesday night, according to the Associated Press. Flyers manager Paul Abbott intends to use him in a set-up role.
Prior, who turns 30 in September, threw for upwards of 15 major league teams at USC towards the end of June, including the Marlins, Brewers, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox. Shortly after the throwing session, it was reported that the Orioles had some interest in the oft-injured right-hander.
Prior hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, so if anything, his story remains a cautionary tale for the “next big thing.”
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 4
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 28
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 154
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 42
- Carlos Beltran likely to land with the Royals? 16
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (154)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (88)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (78)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (76)
- Robinson Cano says he never asked for $300 million (69)