Aug 3, 2010, 8:19 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Mark Prior signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League. He was in uniform Tuesday night, according to the Associated Press. Flyers manager Paul Abbott intends to use him in a set-up role.
Prior, who turns 30 in September, threw for upwards of 15 major league teams at USC towards the end of June, including the Marlins, Brewers, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox. Shortly after the throwing session, it was reported that the Orioles had some interest in the oft-injured right-hander.
Prior hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, so if anything, his story remains a cautionary tale for the “next big thing.”
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 61
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)