Aug 3, 2010, 8:19 PM EDT
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Mark Prior signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League. He was in uniform Tuesday night, according to the Associated Press. Flyers manager Paul Abbott intends to use him in a set-up role.
Prior, who turns 30 in September, threw for upwards of 15 major league teams at USC towards the end of June, including the Marlins, Brewers, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox. Shortly after the throwing session, it was reported that the Orioles had some interest in the oft-injured right-hander.
Prior hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, so if anything, his story remains a cautionary tale for the “next big thing.”
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 24
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 109
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 66
- Clayton Kershaw cleared to begin rehab assignment on Friday at High-A Rancho Cucamonga 3
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension 155
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (200)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (169)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (155)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (113)