Aug 3, 2010, 8:19 PM EST
According to Corey Brock of MLB.com, Mark Prior signed with the Orange County Flyers of the independent Golden Baseball League. He was in uniform Tuesday night, according to the Associated Press. Flyers manager Paul Abbott intends to use him in a set-up role.
Prior, who turns 30 in September, threw for upwards of 15 major league teams at USC towards the end of June, including the Marlins, Brewers, Yankees, Dodgers, Red Sox. Shortly after the throwing session, it was reported that the Orioles had some interest in the oft-injured right-hander.
Prior hasn’t thrown a pitch in the major leagues since 2006, so if anything, his story remains a cautionary tale for the “next big thing.”
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (101)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)
- Robinson Cano wants the Mariners to bring in Kendrys Morales and Ervin Santana (64)
- Reporter calls Ian Kinsler as self-absorbed as A-Rod (60)