Aug 3, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
But when Larry Bowa said something the other day, the reaction was much different.
First, here’s what Bowa, the Dodgers’ fiery third base coach, told T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times while ranting about how some of L.A.’s players don’t care enough:
“I wish I had Matt Kemp’s tools because I would be in Cooperstown,” Bowa said. “He has so much athleticism. I don’t know if he knows what it’s like to go full bore for nine innings. He’s so talented, I don’t think his mind lets him ask, ‘Is there more here?'”
“There’s more there,” Kemp said. “I agree. It’s something I need to sit here and think about and then change.”
It was a surprisingly straightforward answer, and maybe even a little contrite. It’s also possible that Kemp has simply grown tired of all the criticism and was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear him say. Like when you’re a kid and your parents keep asking you to clean your room. Eventually you say “yeah, yeah I’ll clean my room,” even though you have no intention of doing so.
If Kemp does indeed plan to change, I’m sure we’ll see some signs at any moment. As of Monday night, though, it appears he’s still sitting and thinking about it. During the first inning against the Padres, Kemp played a central role in his team failing to score any runs despite notching five consecutive hits. (Although in fairness he was not the only culprit)
During the play in question, James Loney was thrown out at third base for the final out while Kemp “nonchalantly crossed home plate. Umpire Ted Barrett signaled that his run didn’t count.”
But don’t worry Dodgers fans, Kemp knows he needs to change … starting now.
UPDATE: If you’re going to go 5-for-5 with a home run every night, slack all you want, Matt.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 13
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 77
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 14
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 113
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (113)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)