Aug 3, 2010, 12:16 AM EDT
But when Larry Bowa said something the other day, the reaction was much different.
First, here’s what Bowa, the Dodgers’ fiery third base coach, told T.J. Simers of the Los Angeles Times while ranting about how some of L.A.’s players don’t care enough:
“I wish I had Matt Kemp’s tools because I would be in Cooperstown,” Bowa said. “He has so much athleticism. I don’t know if he knows what it’s like to go full bore for nine innings. He’s so talented, I don’t think his mind lets him ask, ‘Is there more here?'”
“There’s more there,” Kemp said. “I agree. It’s something I need to sit here and think about and then change.”
It was a surprisingly straightforward answer, and maybe even a little contrite. It’s also possible that Kemp has simply grown tired of all the criticism and was just saying what he thought people wanted to hear him say. Like when you’re a kid and your parents keep asking you to clean your room. Eventually you say “yeah, yeah I’ll clean my room,” even though you have no intention of doing so.
If Kemp does indeed plan to change, I’m sure we’ll see some signs at any moment. As of Monday night, though, it appears he’s still sitting and thinking about it. During the first inning against the Padres, Kemp played a central role in his team failing to score any runs despite notching five consecutive hits. (Although in fairness he was not the only culprit)
During the play in question, James Loney was thrown out at third base for the final out while Kemp “nonchalantly crossed home plate. Umpire Ted Barrett signaled that his run didn’t count.”
But don’t worry Dodgers fans, Kemp knows he needs to change … starting now.
UPDATE: If you’re going to go 5-for-5 with a home run every night, slack all you want, Matt.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 43
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)