Aug 3, 2010, 2:32 PM EST
On one level I’m happy that Ozzie Guillen is now backtracking from his controversial comments over the weekend, saying that his stuff about baseball treating Asian players better than Latinos was taken out of context, misinterpreted and so on. I mean, we have a pretty decent pennant race shaping up here in the AL Central, and I’d hate for some silly off-the-field distraction to unduly impact it.
On the other hand, Guillen’s moonwalking from controversy disrupts a pet theory I have: that Ozzie is going to try to get himself fired so that he can take over the Marlins job next season. No, I have no reason other than my own deranged mind to support such a theory (well, almost no other reason), but I think that’s what Kat Von D did on Miami Ink before taking over her own show in L.A., and this totally fits the pattern.
Um, forget I said that. I have no idea what any of that meant. Anyway.
In other news, you will officially win the Internet for the day if you can find me a single recent example of public figure trying to get out from under the heat of controversial comments without playing the “my words were taken out of context” card. Indeed, it’s gotten so bad on that score that whenever I hear it, I instantly translate it to “since I was on tape and thus can’t pretend I didn’t say it, I am now trying to the next best thing.”
- Matt Kemp has officially been traded to the Padres 18
- Padres acquire catcher Derek Norris from Athletics 30
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site 81
- What will the future of Cuban players in MLB look like? 25
- Royals sign Edinson Volquez for two years, $20 million 29
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade 97
- Sergio Romo re-signs with the Giants for $15 million 15
- So, apparently we’re sweating the Matt Kemp physical now 46
- Baseball’s highest-ranking Hispanic woman employee sues for discrimination (163)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)