Ozzie Guillen backtracks on that Asian/Latino ballplayer thing

Aug 3, 2010, 2:32 PM EST

On one level I’m happy that Ozzie Guillen is now backtracking from his controversial comments over the weekend, saying that his stuff about baseball treating Asian players better than Latinos was taken out of context, misinterpreted and so on.  I mean, we have a pretty decent pennant race shaping up here in the AL Central, and I’d hate for some silly off-the-field distraction to unduly impact it.

On the other hand, Guillen’s moonwalking from controversy disrupts a pet theory I have: that Ozzie is going to try to get himself fired so that he can take over the Marlins job next season. No, I have no reason other than my own deranged mind to support such a theory (well, almost no other reason), but I think that’s what Kat Von D did on Miami Ink before taking over her own show in L.A., and this totally fits the pattern.

Um, forget I said that. I have no idea what any of that meant. Anyway.

In other news, you will officially win the Internet for the day if you can find me a single recent example of public figure trying to get out from under the heat of controversial comments without playing the “my words were taken out of context” card. Indeed, it’s gotten so bad on that score that whenever I hear it, I instantly translate it to “since I was on tape and thus can’t pretend I didn’t say it, I am now trying to the next best thing.”

1. ben s - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:51 PM

Ahem John Mayer’s apology
    “Re: using the ‘N’ word in an interview, I am sorry,” he Tweeted. “I should have never said the word and I will never say it again.”
    No, “my works were taken out of context.”

2. okobojicat - Aug 3, 2010 at 2:54 PM

Boise State’s President said some stuff about Idaho’s football program (And students in general) that was spot on, but maybe inappropriate for a President to say: http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5417329
    He hasn’t said out of context one bit. More of a “they came out overly intense. My bad.”
    Not only is he right (have you ever been to Idaho, nothing to do there but drink and screw…(sheep,? do they have sheep?)) but I think the way he walks away is great. And the comment from Zang the spokesperson is hilarious: “Boise State spokesman Frank Zang told The Associated Press on Wednesday that he was present during the interview and the university does not dispute the context of Kustra’s remarks.
    “He does recognize that they came out harsher than he intended,” Zang said.”

3. Quack Mr Ducksworth - Aug 3, 2010 at 3:09 PM

This reminds me of the Seinfield episode where George tried to get fired from the Yankees by wearing the babes uniform because the Mets offered him head scouting job, only to have Mr. Wilhelm beat him to it. Probably because it was on the other night.

4. lukejameslarson - Aug 3, 2010 at 3:13 PM

Meanwhile…. Carlos Guillen mostly agrees with what Ozzie Guillen said.

5. RichardInBigD - Aug 3, 2010 at 3:30 PM

Josh Hamilton’s frank admissions when he was busted by deadspin sucking shot out of nookie girls bras…

6. Calir - Aug 3, 2010 at 3:53 PM

At least Ozzie said it. I would hate for the League to kick out Joe Torre or LaRusa just because they said the same thing.

7. Jonny5 - Aug 3, 2010 at 4:37 PM

Well ,Ozzie is a little unhinged at times. And Kat Von D may be a freak, but I like it. I like it alot. All those tats and those taters.. Mmm .. oh yeah…. Jeez. I agree with your unfounded insanity Craig btw. But I also think this will cause some souring on the Loria front.

8. Pisano - Aug 3, 2010 at 6:03 PM

This guy is an idiot . He should put a sock in his mouth, or someone ought to put a foot up his ass . He needs to be very thankful for where he’s at in life .

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (5192)