Rick Ankiel thinks about pitching again

Aug 3, 2010, 12:00 PM EDT

Rick Ankiel says he would consider pitching again. Here are his comments to the Atlanta Journal-Constitution:

“I keep thinking when I can’t run any more and I still want to be in
the game, maybe I’ll give [pitching] a shot. For now,
I’m an outfielder and that’s how I look at it.”

Stranger things have happened, I suppose. Minnie Minoso got a base hit when he was 50. A high school baseball coach pitched relief for the Devil Rays. Corey Patterson and Gary Matthews Jr. keep finding work. Ankiel could pitch one day I guess. For someone.  I just hope that if he really does want to pitch again he doesn’t wait for a time when he “can’t run anymore.”  After all, if a pitcher’s legs go, he’s not that useful anymore.

Anyway, what happened to Ankiel the pitcher makes me sad to this day.  It’s a fantasy, I know, but I think it would be great to see him throwing junk to some minor leaguers when he’s 40 if such a thing would give him a sense of career satisfaction or closure or whatever.

1. birdmancometh - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Might as well do it now, cause he’s not a terribly productive outfielder anymore…aside from his great arm of course.

2. YankeesfanLen - Aug 3, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Ah, c’mon Craig, they could have a great competition between Ankiel and Farnsworth for the coveted “give up a 5 run lead in the 7th” for the Braves.

3. Mark S - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:03 PM

Maybe he should seek out Phil Niekro and ask how to throw a knuckler. If he could figure that pitch out he could be a real asset to a team.

4. Wooden U Lykteneau - Aug 3, 2010 at 1:41 PM

Craig – See Boyd, Dennis — that’s precisely what he’s been doing this decade and last in the indys.

5. paul-e - Aug 3, 2010 at 3:51 PM

Gary Matthews Jr.
    Gold!

6. BasicInstinct - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:15 AM

He did a good job last night….too bad Bobby Cox is senile. Ankile needs to work on his bunting, especially if he wants to pitch again. Braves could have used another run last night…..without a long ball hitter, Cox doesn’t know how to win. Glaus is done and Heinke isn’t going to get it done….should claim Adam Dunn.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet