Aug 3, 2010, 1:18 AM EDT
As the season wears on, the New York Mets are looking less and less like a playoff team. Luckily, they have Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest to cheer them up with a little rap song.
Artest hails from Queens and grew up a Mets fan, so he knows what that’s all about. He’s also known as a … um … free spirit, who is dabbling in the world of dodgeball and who made a point to thank his psychiatrist on live TV after the Lakers won the championship back in June.
Not the bombastic sort, Artest introduces his song with the inspiring “We the Mets from Queens. We lose a lot. But right now we gonna try to win. We’ll see what happens.”
He then launches into a tune that sends a win-at-all-costs message. OK that’s a lie. He basically says it’s OK to lose as long as you have “MetropoliTONS of fun.”
I’m Ron Artest, gettin’ crazy as it gets,
Flying ’round in jets, rappin’ ’bout the Mets,
Born in Queens, raised in Shea,
Grabbin’ a shake shack with my man Jason Bay,
Win some, lose some, the Mets dun dun,
We just tell ourselves success is a nuisance,
I got a ring, no need to be cranky,
Mets need 25 more to tie the Los Los Yankees.
For those of you who are particularly hardy souls, there is more in the video posted below. Hat tip (or blame) to Big League Stew.
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 27
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 48
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 104
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 28
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 68
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (104)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results (81)