Aug 3, 2010, 1:18 AM EST
As the season wears on, the New York Mets are looking less and less like a playoff team. Luckily, they have Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest to cheer them up with a little rap song.
Artest hails from Queens and grew up a Mets fan, so he knows what that’s all about. He’s also known as a … um … free spirit, who is dabbling in the world of dodgeball and who made a point to thank his psychiatrist on live TV after the Lakers won the championship back in June.
Not the bombastic sort, Artest introduces his song with the inspiring “We the Mets from Queens. We lose a lot. But right now we gonna try to win. We’ll see what happens.”
He then launches into a tune that sends a win-at-all-costs message. OK that’s a lie. He basically says it’s OK to lose as long as you have “MetropoliTONS of fun.”
I’m Ron Artest, gettin’ crazy as it gets,
Flying ’round in jets, rappin’ ’bout the Mets,
Born in Queens, raised in Shea,
Grabbin’ a shake shack with my man Jason Bay,
Win some, lose some, the Mets dun dun,
We just tell ourselves success is a nuisance,
I got a ring, no need to be cranky,
Mets need 25 more to tie the Los Los Yankees.
For those of you who are particularly hardy souls, there is more in the video posted below. Hat tip (or blame) to Big League Stew.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)