Aug 3, 2010, 1:18 AM EST
As the season wears on, the New York Mets are looking less and less like a playoff team. Luckily, they have Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest to cheer them up with a little rap song.
Artest hails from Queens and grew up a Mets fan, so he knows what that’s all about. He’s also known as a … um … free spirit, who is dabbling in the world of dodgeball and who made a point to thank his psychiatrist on live TV after the Lakers won the championship back in June.
Not the bombastic sort, Artest introduces his song with the inspiring “We the Mets from Queens. We lose a lot. But right now we gonna try to win. We’ll see what happens.”
He then launches into a tune that sends a win-at-all-costs message. OK that’s a lie. He basically says it’s OK to lose as long as you have “MetropoliTONS of fun.”
I’m Ron Artest, gettin’ crazy as it gets,
Flying ’round in jets, rappin’ ’bout the Mets,
Born in Queens, raised in Shea,
Grabbin’ a shake shack with my man Jason Bay,
Win some, lose some, the Mets dun dun,
We just tell ourselves success is a nuisance,
I got a ring, no need to be cranky,
Mets need 25 more to tie the Los Los Yankees.
For those of you who are particularly hardy souls, there is more in the video posted below. Hat tip (or blame) to Big League Stew.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 43
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 36
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 117
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 47
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)