Aug 3, 2010, 1:18 AM EDT
As the season wears on, the New York Mets are looking less and less like a playoff team. Luckily, they have Los Angeles Lakers forward Ron Artest to cheer them up with a little rap song.
Artest hails from Queens and grew up a Mets fan, so he knows what that’s all about. He’s also known as a … um … free spirit, who is dabbling in the world of dodgeball and who made a point to thank his psychiatrist on live TV after the Lakers won the championship back in June.
Not the bombastic sort, Artest introduces his song with the inspiring “We the Mets from Queens. We lose a lot. But right now we gonna try to win. We’ll see what happens.”
He then launches into a tune that sends a win-at-all-costs message. OK that’s a lie. He basically says it’s OK to lose as long as you have “MetropoliTONS of fun.”
I’m Ron Artest, gettin’ crazy as it gets,
Flying ’round in jets, rappin’ ’bout the Mets,
Born in Queens, raised in Shea,
Grabbin’ a shake shack with my man Jason Bay,
Win some, lose some, the Mets dun dun,
We just tell ourselves success is a nuisance,
I got a ring, no need to be cranky,
Mets need 25 more to tie the Los Los Yankees.
For those of you who are particularly hardy souls, there is more in the video posted below. Hat tip (or blame) to Big League Stew.
- Winners and losers at the trade deadline 6
- Cliff Lee exits start with recurrence of flexor pronator strain 11
- 2014 Trade Deadline Tracker 46
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers 133
- Red Sox trade John Lackey to Cardinals for Allen Craig and Joe Kelly 88
- The Lester trade is a win-win 112
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes 165
- The State of the Trade Deadline: Yesterday was pretty sleepy. Will general managers wake up today? 40
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (199)
- Jon Lester, Jonny Gomes heading to Oakland for Yoenis Cespedes (165)
- ACES GALORE: The Rays trade David Price to the Tigers (134)
- Rangers’ retirement gifts for Derek Jeter: Yankees cowboy boots, signed George W. Bush photo (126)
- The Lester trade is a win-win (112)