Aug 3, 2010, 8:46 AM EDT
I probably shouldn’t rock a Billy Joel-inspired headline one post after criticizing someone else for writing headlines that are in poor taste, huh? Anyway:
It’s the end of a very brief and probably over-hyped era: the Dodgers have taken down the “Mannywood” sign that has adorned the left field corner in Dodger Stadium for the past couple seasons. The stated reason: they sold that space to an advertiser. The big picture: that sign was coming down whether the real estate was sold or not.
Ramirez has played only 61 games this year. The excitement of 2008 gave way to the multi-faceted disappointment that was 2009 and now — regardless of how good his rate stats are this year — his absence and the team’s struggles make the sort of joie de vivre that inspire those kinds of signs unthinkable. Absent a comeback next season that makes Vlad Guerrero’s year look like a
disappointment, there will be no similar hoopla surrounding Manny
again, no matter where he plays.
As a wise man once said: everything ends badly otherwise it wouldn’t end.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)