Aug 3, 2010, 8:46 AM EST
I probably shouldn’t rock a Billy Joel-inspired headline one post after criticizing someone else for writing headlines that are in poor taste, huh? Anyway:
It’s the end of a very brief and probably over-hyped era: the Dodgers have taken down the “Mannywood” sign that has adorned the left field corner in Dodger Stadium for the past couple seasons. The stated reason: they sold that space to an advertiser. The big picture: that sign was coming down whether the real estate was sold or not.
Ramirez has played only 61 games this year. The excitement of 2008 gave way to the multi-faceted disappointment that was 2009 and now — regardless of how good his rate stats are this year — his absence and the team’s struggles make the sort of joie de vivre that inspire those kinds of signs unthinkable. Absent a comeback next season that makes Vlad Guerrero’s year look like a
disappointment, there will be no similar hoopla surrounding Manny
again, no matter where he plays.
As a wise man once said: everything ends badly otherwise it wouldn’t end.
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 34
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical 133
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 25
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 285
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- UPDATE: Red Sox finalizing a 4-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, with a vesting option 35
- MLB players react to Odell Beckham, Jr. catch on Sunday Night Football 27
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 77
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (285)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)