Aug 3, 2010, 8:46 AM EST
I probably shouldn’t rock a Billy Joel-inspired headline one post after criticizing someone else for writing headlines that are in poor taste, huh? Anyway:
It’s the end of a very brief and probably over-hyped era: the Dodgers have taken down the “Mannywood” sign that has adorned the left field corner in Dodger Stadium for the past couple seasons. The stated reason: they sold that space to an advertiser. The big picture: that sign was coming down whether the real estate was sold or not.
Ramirez has played only 61 games this year. The excitement of 2008 gave way to the multi-faceted disappointment that was 2009 and now — regardless of how good his rate stats are this year — his absence and the team’s struggles make the sort of joie de vivre that inspire those kinds of signs unthinkable. Absent a comeback next season that makes Vlad Guerrero’s year look like a
disappointment, there will be no similar hoopla surrounding Manny
again, no matter where he plays.
As a wise man once said: everything ends badly otherwise it wouldn’t end.
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 22
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 76
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 48
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 18
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (76)