Aug 3, 2010, 9:44 PM EDT
While we’re on the subject of “next big things,” Mark Zuckerman of Nats Insider reports that Stephen Strasburg is scheduled to return from the disabled list next Tuesday against the Marlins.
Strasburg, who was placed on the disabled list last week with shoulder stiffness, threw a 25-pitch bullpen session Tuesday. He hurled fastballs, curveballs and changeups at full velocity and was “letting it go,” according to Nationals trainer Lee Kuntz.
He’ll still need to complete a simulated game Thursday and another bullpen session Saturday, but Nationals manager Jim Riggelman is very optimistic that he will be available Tuesday, as scheduled.
“It’s only tentative if he doesn’t respond 100 percent to the workload,”
Manager Jim Riggleman said. “We’re anticipating everything will go fine
and he can pitch Tuesday. But if there’s the slightest something to be
cautious about, we’ll back off from that.”
I follow statistics as much as any other baseball geek, but Zuckerman tweeted something pretty interesting in its sheer meaninglessness earlier this afternoon:
Craziest (and least meaningful) stat ever: With Strasburg on 25-man roster, Nats are 15-26. Without him, they’re 32-33.
Just your classic case of coincidental sucking, I’m sure.
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 14
- There’s a chicken pox outbreak in the Royals’ clubhouse and multiple players are infected 23
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 64
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 66
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 34
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (202)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Joe Girardi would like Carlos Gomez to “play the game right” (97)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)