Aug 3, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Steve Pearce suffered a knee injury while on a rehab assignment for an ankle injury in May and after unsuccessfully trying non-surgical options Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he’ll go under the knife tomorrow.
Pearce will miss the remainder of this season and may not be fully healthy for start of next year, which is key because he’ll be out of minor-league options after this season and has yet to establish himself as part of the Pirates’ long-term plans.
As a minor leaguer Peace once looked like a long-term building block after hitting .333 with 31 homers, 40 doubles, and a 1.016 OPS in monster 2007 season as a 24-year-old, but he’s hit just .240/.313/.394 through 416 plate appearances in the majors and is already 27 years old.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (241)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (109)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)