Aug 3, 2010, 1:46 PM EDT
Steve Pearce suffered a knee injury while on a rehab assignment for an ankle injury in May and after unsuccessfully trying non-surgical options Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he’ll go under the knife tomorrow.
Pearce will miss the remainder of this season and may not be fully healthy for start of next year, which is key because he’ll be out of minor-league options after this season and has yet to establish himself as part of the Pirates’ long-term plans.
As a minor leaguer Peace once looked like a long-term building block after hitting .333 with 31 homers, 40 doubles, and a 1.016 OPS in monster 2007 season as a 24-year-old, but he’s hit just .240/.313/.394 through 416 plate appearances in the majors and is already 27 years old.
- Shoeless Joe Jackson is not being reinstated 48
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 62
- Cubs acquire Austin Jackson from Mariners 22
- Unknown Cuban ballplayer sleeps outside of Dodger Stadium, hoping for a tryout 32
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 74
- Jake Arrieta no-hits the Dodgers with 12 strikeouts 32
- Blue Jays will name Mark Shapiro as the new team president 31
- Lance Lynn expects to make next scheduled start despite suffering ankle injury Saturday 2
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (170)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (124)