Aug 3, 2010, 1:46 PM EST
Steve Pearce suffered a knee injury while on a rehab assignment for an ankle injury in May and after unsuccessfully trying non-surgical options Jennifer Langosch of MLB.com reports that he’ll go under the knife tomorrow.
Pearce will miss the remainder of this season and may not be fully healthy for start of next year, which is key because he’ll be out of minor-league options after this season and has yet to establish himself as part of the Pirates’ long-term plans.
As a minor leaguer Peace once looked like a long-term building block after hitting .333 with 31 homers, 40 doubles, and a 1.016 OPS in monster 2007 season as a 24-year-old, but he’s hit just .240/.313/.394 through 416 plate appearances in the majors and is already 27 years old.
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 0
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 43
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 60
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 48
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 118
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (146)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (92)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)