Aug 3, 2010, 5:30 PM EST
They’re dropping like flies this afternoon.
The Phillies have placed Ryan Howard on the DL, obviously figuring that his ankle needs more than a day or two of rest. They’ve called up John Mayberry to take his place on the roster.
The entire Phillies infield has been on the DL now at some point this season, and the infield is obviously the heart and soul of this team. Like I said yesterday in the Power Rankings: if the Phillies can overcome this and still take the division, Charlie Manuel has to be the manager of the year in the National League. Though I’m guessing Bud Black wins it no matter what.
So can they overcome it? It seems unfair, but a lot of that has to do with young Domonic Brown, who will need to shoulder even more of the offensive load than he might have otherwise been expected to. It also means that the margin for error is that much less, meaning that the Phillies’ bullpen can’t give away games like it did against the Nationals on Saturday.
Like anything else that has happened to the Phillies this year, this, in and of itself, is not insurmountable. Chase Utley’s injury was far more devastating, frankly, and they’ve more or less survived that. But at some point these things start to add up, the bench begins to get taxed and things go sideways.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- The Cleveland Plain Dealer comes out strongly against Chief Wahoo (116)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (98)
- Report: Harold Reynolds, Tom Verducci to join Joe Buck for World Series booth at Fox (73)
- The politics of “The Cardinal Way” (67)