Aug 3, 2010, 4:57 PM EST
UPDATE: Turns out Youkilis has a torn muscle in his thumb. The team will be getting a second opinion on it (“hmmm, looks merely frayed!”), but the concern was that if he keeps playing, the muscle could detach from the bone.
4:30 P.M.: Kevin Youkilis had an MRI on his wonky thumb today. It apparently didn’t look so good, because the Sox placed him on the disabled list. The corresponding move: Mike Lowell has been activated and will start at first base tonight.
It’s been so long since we’ve seen Lowell and he’s seemed so far away from the day-to-day of Red Sox consciousness that this reminds of the time the Batmobile got destroyed and Batman went back to that old retro-model he had with the big hood ornament. Still kicked ass, though, and I kind of hope that Lowell does too.
In other news, I’m pretty sure the Red Sox are going to activate me next. They’re running out of bodies, my friends.
- Roy Halladay is retiring 53
- Tony La Russa Bobby Cox, Joe Torre all unanimously elected to the Hall of Fame 43
- Tony Blengino says recent report on Seattle front office is “just the tip of the iceberg” 60
- Rakuten Golden Eagles appear likely to allow Masahiro Tanaka’s departure to MLB 49
- 2013 Winter Meetings Preview 23
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (160)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (112)