Aug 3, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: Turns out Youkilis has a torn muscle in his thumb. The team will be getting a second opinion on it (“hmmm, looks merely frayed!”), but the concern was that if he keeps playing, the muscle could detach from the bone.
4:30 P.M.: Kevin Youkilis had an MRI on his wonky thumb today. It apparently didn’t look so good, because the Sox placed him on the disabled list. The corresponding move: Mike Lowell has been activated and will start at first base tonight.
It’s been so long since we’ve seen Lowell and he’s seemed so far away from the day-to-day of Red Sox consciousness that this reminds of the time the Batmobile got destroyed and Batman went back to that old retro-model he had with the big hood ornament. Still kicked ass, though, and I kind of hope that Lowell does too.
In other news, I’m pretty sure the Red Sox are going to activate me next. They’re running out of bodies, my friends.
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 1
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 8
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 14
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 9
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (89)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)