Aug 3, 2010, 4:57 PM EDT
UPDATE: Turns out Youkilis has a torn muscle in his thumb. The team will be getting a second opinion on it (“hmmm, looks merely frayed!”), but the concern was that if he keeps playing, the muscle could detach from the bone.
4:30 P.M.: Kevin Youkilis had an MRI on his wonky thumb today. It apparently didn’t look so good, because the Sox placed him on the disabled list. The corresponding move: Mike Lowell has been activated and will start at first base tonight.
It’s been so long since we’ve seen Lowell and he’s seemed so far away from the day-to-day of Red Sox consciousness that this reminds of the time the Batmobile got destroyed and Batman went back to that old retro-model he had with the big hood ornament. Still kicked ass, though, and I kind of hope that Lowell does too.
In other news, I’m pretty sure the Red Sox are going to activate me next. They’re running out of bodies, my friends.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (188)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)