Aug 4, 2010, 11:28 PM EDT
Barry Bonds is a nice guy. Don’t believe me? Well let’s lay forth the evidence.
On Tuesday, the news came out that the all-time home run king had donated $20,000 to a group of journalists. JOURNALISTS!?! That’s like Lex Luthor and the Riddler holding a bake sale in support of the Justice League. It’s just hard to imagine it happening — unless that check was carved in kryptonite.
But wait there’s more. On Wednesday, just after Alex Rodriguez became the seventh member of the 600-homer club and we started talking about him one day becoming the all-time record holder, this messages pops up on Bonds’ web site:
“Congratulations Alex on hitting your 600th home run today, welcome to the club. Stay healthy and focused, you only have 163 to go. I’ll be watching and rooting for you along the way. Good Luck.”
And that’s it. No snarky remarks. No jealousy. No evil cackling accompanied with the promise to “get you if it’s the last thing I do!” The old guy sounds like he’s turning over a new leaf.
Unless, of course, this is all part of the plan …
- Denard Span headed back to DL with hip inflammation, unlikely to return this season 0
- Report: Barry Bonds loses collusion case against MLB 21
- Jessica Mendoza to sit in for Curt Schilling on Sunday Night Baseball this week 66
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 78
- MLB “actively studying” fan safety; Phillies plan to expand netting at Citizens Bank Park 28
- Marlins might move in and lower the fences at Marlins Park 26
- Astros beat the suddenly skidding Yankees, top last year’s win total 30
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week 134
- Dan Patrick: When does ESPN cut ties with Curt Schilling? (201)
- Curt Schilling taken off of Little League World Series duty for making a really bad tweet (169)
- Curt Schilling taken off of ESPN’s Sunday Night Baseball telecast this week (134)
- Phillies announcer calls Mets fans “obnoxious” (122)
- Let’s all argue about team chemistry again (118)