Aug 4, 2010, 9:50 AM EDT
Let me see . . . I know I left my “dreaded” detector around here somewhere. While I’m looking for it, here are Jack Zduriencik’s comments about his manager:
“Don is our manager. Don and I, and his son went out to dinner last
night. We had a very nice evening, spent like three or four hours
together and talked about a lot of things. We talked where we’re
headed with the club, about Don and Don is our manager . . . Everybody is evaluated at all times. As we go forward,
you have to realize there is always an evaluation process going
on at all times. You take a week at a time, a month at a time, a
season at a time with everyone.”
I’m putting that squarely in the “dreaded” territory. The tip-offs: the stating of the bleeding obvious (“Don is our manager”), references to an evaluation process. A nice distraction with reference to a dinner out. A dinner that, with Wakamatsu’s son in tow, couldn’t have exactly gotten too deep into will-Wakamatsu-be-fired territory or not.
If I had to wager some greenbacks on this thing I’d say that, based on this vote of confidence alone, Wakamatsu is dismissed this fall.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)