Aug 4, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
It sure sounded like this situation was headed this way, but now we have confirmation. The Mariners announced Tuesday that Erik Bedard will undergo shoulder surgery Friday, according to Jim Street of MLB.com.
The surgery will be performed by Mariners team physician Edward Khalfayan and Dr. Lewis Yocum, according to the team. Yocum performed the previous two operations on Bedard.
It’s hard to call it season-ending surgery since Bedard’s season never officially got off the ground. Working his way back from surgery to repair a torn labrum last August, the closest Bedard got to the big leagues this season was a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma. He was scheduled to make his season debut last month before his shoulder started barking again.
It wasn’t too long ago that Bedard was considered one of the best left-handed starters in the game, however he has made a grand total of 30 starts since the start of the 2008 season. Now he’ll be 32 years old next March, and suddenly, the odds are increasingly stacked against him making another 30 starts in his career.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)