Aug 4, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
It sure sounded like this situation was headed this way, but now we have confirmation. The Mariners announced Tuesday that Erik Bedard will undergo shoulder surgery Friday, according to Jim Street of MLB.com.
The surgery will be performed by Mariners team physician Edward Khalfayan and Dr. Lewis Yocum, according to the team. Yocum performed the previous two operations on Bedard.
It’s hard to call it season-ending surgery since Bedard’s season never officially got off the ground. Working his way back from surgery to repair a torn labrum last August, the closest Bedard got to the big leagues this season was a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma. He was scheduled to make his season debut last month before his shoulder started barking again.
It wasn’t too long ago that Bedard was considered one of the best left-handed starters in the game, however he has made a grand total of 30 starts since the start of the 2008 season. Now he’ll be 32 years old next March, and suddenly, the odds are increasingly stacked against him making another 30 starts in his career.
- The Padres have talked to the Phillies about Cole Hamels 21
- Why is John Smoltz a shoo-in for the Hall of Fame? 48
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 85
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 48
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 35
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)
- St. Petersburg City Council votes down deal to allow Rays to look for new stadium site (90)