Aug 4, 2010, 10:20 AM EST
It sure sounded like this situation was headed this way, but now we have confirmation. The Mariners announced Tuesday that Erik Bedard will undergo shoulder surgery Friday, according to Jim Street of MLB.com.
The surgery will be performed by Mariners team physician Edward Khalfayan and Dr. Lewis Yocum, according to the team. Yocum performed the previous two operations on Bedard.
It’s hard to call it season-ending surgery since Bedard’s season never officially got off the ground. Working his way back from surgery to repair a torn labrum last August, the closest Bedard got to the big leagues this season was a minor league rehab assignment with Triple-A Tacoma. He was scheduled to make his season debut last month before his shoulder started barking again.
It wasn’t too long ago that Bedard was considered one of the best left-handed starters in the game, however he has made a grand total of 30 starts since the start of the 2008 season. Now he’ll be 32 years old next March, and suddenly, the odds are increasingly stacked against him making another 30 starts in his career.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 306
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (123)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)