Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Dodgers manager Joe Torre acknowledged Tuesday that Manny Ramirez suffered a setback during his rehab from a right calf strain and will need at least another week before going out on a minor league rehab assignment, according to Evan Drellich of MLB.com.
The team made the assessment after Dodgers trainer Stan Conte visited Ramirez at the club’s spring training complex in Glendale, Arizona on Tuesday.
“Until we get him on the field and playing in a rehab game, it’s really
tough to really plan on getting him back at this point in time,” Dodgers
manager Joe Torre said. “I think it’s going to be probably a couple
weeks if what Stan says [is right], and this could change depending on
how comfortable he is.”
Ramirez has been sidelined since July 16, his third trip to the disabled list this season.
His extended absence hurts the Dodgers, who currently sit on the fringes of playoff contention, but each passing day also makes it less likely that Ramirez will be traded this month. Though the club hasn’t confirmed that they would like to actually trade Ramirez, players on the disabled list cannot be placed on waivers. We’re looking at a deal in late-August, if anything.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 46
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)