Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Dodgers manager Joe Torre acknowledged Tuesday that Manny Ramirez suffered a setback during his rehab from a right calf strain and will need at least another week before going out on a minor league rehab assignment, according to Evan Drellich of MLB.com.
The team made the assessment after Dodgers trainer Stan Conte visited Ramirez at the club’s spring training complex in Glendale, Arizona on Tuesday.
“Until we get him on the field and playing in a rehab game, it’s really
tough to really plan on getting him back at this point in time,” Dodgers
manager Joe Torre said. “I think it’s going to be probably a couple
weeks if what Stan says [is right], and this could change depending on
how comfortable he is.”
Ramirez has been sidelined since July 16, his third trip to the disabled list this season.
His extended absence hurts the Dodgers, who currently sit on the fringes of playoff contention, but each passing day also makes it less likely that Ramirez will be traded this month. Though the club hasn’t confirmed that they would like to actually trade Ramirez, players on the disabled list cannot be placed on waivers. We’re looking at a deal in late-August, if anything.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 10
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 31
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)