Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Dodgers manager Joe Torre acknowledged Tuesday that Manny Ramirez suffered a setback during his rehab from a right calf strain and will need at least another week before going out on a minor league rehab assignment, according to Evan Drellich of MLB.com.
The team made the assessment after Dodgers trainer Stan Conte visited Ramirez at the club’s spring training complex in Glendale, Arizona on Tuesday.
“Until we get him on the field and playing in a rehab game, it’s really
tough to really plan on getting him back at this point in time,” Dodgers
manager Joe Torre said. “I think it’s going to be probably a couple
weeks if what Stan says [is right], and this could change depending on
how comfortable he is.”
Ramirez has been sidelined since July 16, his third trip to the disabled list this season.
His extended absence hurts the Dodgers, who currently sit on the fringes of playoff contention, but each passing day also makes it less likely that Ramirez will be traded this month. Though the club hasn’t confirmed that they would like to actually trade Ramirez, players on the disabled list cannot be placed on waivers. We’re looking at a deal in late-August, if anything.
- Rangers catcher Geovany Soto arrested for marijuana possession 52
- Babe Ruth made his major league debut 100 years ago today 46
- Rockies owner: “maybe Denver doesn’t deserve a franchise . . . maybe time for it to find a new home” 76
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 33
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 112
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 31
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (191)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow (113)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (102)