Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 AM EDT
Dodgers manager Joe Torre acknowledged Tuesday that Manny Ramirez suffered a setback during his rehab from a right calf strain and will need at least another week before going out on a minor league rehab assignment, according to Evan Drellich of MLB.com.
The team made the assessment after Dodgers trainer Stan Conte visited Ramirez at the club’s spring training complex in Glendale, Arizona on Tuesday.
“Until we get him on the field and playing in a rehab game, it’s really
tough to really plan on getting him back at this point in time,” Dodgers
manager Joe Torre said. “I think it’s going to be probably a couple
weeks if what Stan says [is right], and this could change depending on
how comfortable he is.”
Ramirez has been sidelined since July 16, his third trip to the disabled list this season.
His extended absence hurts the Dodgers, who currently sit on the fringes of playoff contention, but each passing day also makes it less likely that Ramirez will be traded this month. Though the club hasn’t confirmed that they would like to actually trade Ramirez, players on the disabled list cannot be placed on waivers. We’re looking at a deal in late-August, if anything.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 63
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)