Poll: What does A-Rod's 600th home run mean to you?

Aug 4, 2010, 2:20 PM EDT

I really want to tap into your feeeeeelings on this one, man. Don't hold back . . .

1. Richie - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM

I’m indifferent — without an exclamation mark. Meh!

2. Trevor B - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:31 PM

Unfortuneatly A-Rod has to be on the same platform now as some of the baseball greats. I still do not feel he deserves to be a HOFer dispite his amazing numbers for the same reason I don’t feel Pete Rose should be a HOFer, his image just shouldn’t represent baseball. It is the Hall of FAME, not the Hall of Kick Ass. That’s why players like Andre Dawson got in, he was good, maybe not A-Rod good, but his image portrays baseball well. I’d vote Big Mac over A-Rod as well just because Big-Mac admits to his mistake and seeks to make his image positive. I’m not for keeping roiders out of the HOF, I’m for keeping arrogance out of the HOF.

3. YankeesfanLen - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:33 PM

What indifference! Harold Stassen for President!

4. easports82 - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:35 PM

Annoyed that this post has taken up any part of my day. Pedro for President!

5. Jonny5 - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:36 PM

I hope he doesn’t even get close to 700. If he does We’ll hear about it all over again, then it’ll be worse.

6. gruntersdad - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:37 PM

Seven players have done it and the last three were druggies. Another useless stat. Ruth, Aaron and Mays did it clean. Sosa, Bonds and A Hole are dirty. End of story. *****************

7. Jonny5 - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:39 PM

Craig, do you think Lowe will be placed on waivers? I’m hearing… Things…. To that effect. Could that be something that could bring anybody of value to the Braves via trade?

8. okobojicat - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Getting over the loss of my Schadenfreude

9. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM

All sorts of fail in this post. I don’t even have time to respond to them all, but if you’re for keeping arrogance out, I guess the first person we need to remove is Willie Mays. There’s a huge list, but he’s the first one one that I could think of. So let’s do it! Let’s start the Remove Willie Mays from the Hall of Fame movement. I’ll get the webby (LessWillie.com) and you start typing up more completely rational rants on arrogance. Annnnd, go!

10. BC - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Means I won’t have to hear about any A-Rod home run milestones until he’s close to 700 three or so years from now.

11. Proudly Canadian - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:42 PM

I am conflicted as I am a Jays fan and Afraud is on my fantasy team.

12. Adenzeno - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:43 PM

Sad

13. Trevor B - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:46 PM

Obviously you miss the point on this post. Fail.

14. Trevor B - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:48 PM

And, Willie Mays wasn’t cheating the game of baseball and/or breaking the rules like A-Rod and Pete Rose

15. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:55 PM

“I’m for keeping arrogance out of the HOF”
    You said it, not me. I’m just supporting you on this one. I too want to get rid of arrogance in the Hall of Fame and keep it out.

16. aleskel - Aug 4, 2010 at 2:57 PM

Mays was/is widely believed to have used amphetamines for much of his career (during his time with the Mets he was said to have introduced a separate pot of “leaded” coffee infused with the stuff). At the time amphetamines were illegal but not monitored by MLB and were thus widely used, similar to how steroids fit in the game in the 1990s and early 2000s.

17. aleskel - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:00 PM

Ruth didn’t face a single black player for his entire career. He was also severely addicted to the kind of drug that diminishes performance (among other things).
    Mays and Aaron both verly likely used amphetamines during their career.

18. aleskel - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:02 PM

and really, “keeping arrogance out of the Hall of Fame”? Yes, let’s reserve this hallowed place for honest, humble gentlmen like Ty Cobb and Cap Anson.

19. Tim's Neighbor - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM

We gotta purge them all to protect baseball! After Mayes, Cobb and Anson, let’s get rid of Reggie Jackson.

20. Alex K - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:09 PM

I think you missed the point of your original post. You said, “I’m not for keeping roiders out of the HOF, I’m for keeping arrogance out of the HOF.” Doesn’t that mean you don’t want arrogant perople in the HOF? Or is it just SOME arrogant people?
    Plus, how is McGwire better than A-Rod? Alex admitted his use quicker, not years later. Alex has been working with the Taylor Hooten Foundation to educate kids about the risk of steriod use, but he isn’t trying to “make his image positive”. You’re right, he’s a monster!

21. KarkoviceWasMyIdol - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:11 PM

wish there was the option of, “happy. cheering for athletes that receive more than their fair share of scorn are fun to root for, and 600 is a fucking lot of home runs.”

22. Alex K - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:19 PM

You win the internet for the day!

23. Md23Rewls - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:33 PM

The guy’s easy to root against, and even as a Yankee fan I don’t love the guy like I do other players on the team, but I do respect his ability and I am happy for him.

24. egypt4 - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:45 PM

I am very pleased for A-rod. It is a great accomplishment. Of course there will be many who will complain, but bare in mind they would complain if they were hung with a new rope. Perhaps they should be.

25. runningamuck - Aug 4, 2010 at 3:46 PM

I don’t care for A-Rod and I wish he was not on the same level of Ruth, Aaron and Mays.
    It is a disgrace and an insult to include A-ROID’s tarnished name with the NON-CHEATING baseball greats of all time.
    A-ROID couldn’t wear their soiled jocks on his head. He is total POS, and should receive not special attention for his cheating, classless behavior. What a COMPLETE FRAUD !
    Babe Ruth is laughing in his grave !

Who's to blame for Cubs tarp fiasco?
  1. R. Castillo (3158)