Aug 4, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
“I’m excited to be in an organization where they want me.”
– Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, reflecting on his trade from the Texas Rangers.
I know that Saltalamacchia needed a fresh start, but I find this quote rather curious, because I never got any sense that the Rangers didn’t want the guy. Indeed, while Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus have become budding stars, at the time Saltalamacchia was seen as the key to the Mark Teixeira trade. The Rangers actually went to great lengths to give him the starting catching job, it seemed, trading away Gerald Laird and naming him starter on multiple occasions.
Injuries happened. Those throwing yips happened. I don’t think it was ever a matter of desire. It was simply a matter of the Rangers needing a catcher who could help them win ballgames and Saltalamacchia was never that guy for any number of reasons. It happens.
- Ian Kinsler hopes Rangers go 0-162, calls GM a “sleazeball” (132)
- Albert Pujols was insulted when someone asked him if he can put up Mike Trout numbers (103)
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” (72)
- Ryan Braun calls himself an “artist,” doesn’t care what fans on the road will shout at him (70)
- Barry Bonds is back in uniform (68)