Aug 4, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
“I’m excited to be in an organization where they want me.”
— Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, reflecting on his trade from the Texas Rangers.
I know that Saltalamacchia needed a fresh start, but I find this quote rather curious, because I never got any sense that the Rangers didn’t want the guy. Indeed, while Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus have become budding stars, at the time Saltalamacchia was seen as the key to the Mark Teixeira trade. The Rangers actually went to great lengths to give him the starting catching job, it seemed, trading away Gerald Laird and naming him starter on multiple occasions.
Injuries happened. Those throwing yips happened. I don’t think it was ever a matter of desire. It was simply a matter of the Rangers needing a catcher who could help them win ballgames and Saltalamacchia was never that guy for any number of reasons. It happens.
- Bryce Harper walks in all four of his plate appearances, scores four runs 0
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 91
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 124
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 74
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (127)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game (100)
- David Ortiz tweets his happiness about the Deflategate decision (98)