Aug 4, 2010, 9:20 AM EDT
“I’m excited to be in an organization where they want me.”
— Red Sox catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia, reflecting on his trade from the Texas Rangers.
I know that Saltalamacchia needed a fresh start, but I find this quote rather curious, because I never got any sense that the Rangers didn’t want the guy. Indeed, while Neftali Feliz and Elvis Andrus have become budding stars, at the time Saltalamacchia was seen as the key to the Mark Teixeira trade. The Rangers actually went to great lengths to give him the starting catching job, it seemed, trading away Gerald Laird and naming him starter on multiple occasions.
Injuries happened. Those throwing yips happened. I don’t think it was ever a matter of desire. It was simply a matter of the Rangers needing a catcher who could help them win ballgames and Saltalamacchia was never that guy for any number of reasons. It happens.
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 1
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects 78
- Alex Rodriguez celebrates 40th birthday with a home run 10
- Mets acquire Tyler Clippard from the Athletics 19
- Angels acquire Shane Victorino from Red Sox 25
- Happy 40th Birthday, A-Rod! 44
- Craig Biggio, John Smoltz, Randy Johnson and Pedro Martinez inducted into the Hall of Fame 41
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 49
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (156)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- MLBPAA announces “Heart and Hustle” award, given mostly to Americans and white guys (131)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)