Rick Dempsey thinks he should have gotten the O's managerial job

Aug 4, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT

Rick Dempsey believes he was stepped over. Which may have been the way Angelos wanted it, but it ain’t the way he wanted it! He’s smaht! Not like everybody says!

“I’m very, very disappointed, to tell you the truth. I don’t begrudge Buck getting the opportunity. He is
going to be a hell of a manager. He has been a hell of a manager. But I
will always feel I know more about this ballclub than anybody else . . . I think it is probably the biggest mistake made here in a long time, and
I’m not talking just today, I mean over the years. Not
being given an opportunity to manage this ballclub. Every organization
in baseball would like to have someone who has won, who has played in
the World Series for the organization, who has learned to manage from A
ball up and come back here. I think with the relationship I have had
with the fans and this city, I should have been a slam-dunk years ago.
Someone dropped the ball a long time ago.”

I think Dempsey has a point that he should have been considered more the past couple of times it was open. The guy paid his dues and had a good deal of success as a minor league manager. But the Orioles just aren’t in a place right now where they can afford to — yet again — take a chance on a guy with no big league managerial experience.

It’s not Dempsey’s fault that the O’s went with the Lee Mazzillis, Sam Perlozzos and Dave Trembleys of the world over him before, but I think he simply missed his window.  Based on the rest of the linked it article it seems like he’s being pretty stand-up about it, the above quote notwithstanding. He wishes Showalter the best and even flashes a sense of humor about it all (“Well, it’s not the first time I have gone 0-for-4″).  But he’s certainly not a happy camper about it.

1. YankeesfanLen - Aug 4, 2010 at 11:49 AM

Gettin’ so you’re almost as long between Godfather references as ARod is between home runs.

2. BC - Aug 4, 2010 at 11:58 AM

Why they ever hired Perlozzo is beyond me. He couldn’t coach his way out of a paper bag with the Mets. Dempsey shouldve gotten a shot then.

3. DuckAround - Aug 4, 2010 at 12:09 PM

Demspey didn’t get the job because he wasn’t the best man for it. As an O’s fan, I get to hear his thoughts on baseball before and after each game. Dude’s not bright. He’s fixated on NL-style small ball, which will not work in the AL East. His idea of player development is “Give ‘em a chance to play and they’ll figure it out.” O’s fans dodged a bullet every time he wasn’t hired.

4. John_Michael - Aug 4, 2010 at 12:15 PM

Dempsey was just on 105.7 saying that the article was misleading. He clarified that he never said he should have been hired over Buck, just that he should have been hired before. When you listen to him, he comes off as a nice guy, and probably would connect with the fans more so than others. Yet, you also hear someone that, at least on his tv and radio spots, doesn’t demonstrate any strategic thinking. Good players don’t necessarily translate to good managers.
    The O’s, potentially, are about a year and change away from being competitive. It doesn’t make any sense to add any more uncertainty to the situation by hiring a manager without a track record.

5. Old Gator - Aug 4, 2010 at 12:18 PM

Dempsey wanting so badly to work for Angelos reminds me of some of those eat-me advertising icons, like Charlie Tuna or the Desitin cod. Remember the glazed expression on his face? Or maybe even a little like the crazed bovine face on the Mad Cow Cheese label.

6. Chris Fiorentino - Aug 4, 2010 at 1:02 PM

“The O’s, potentially, are about a year and change away from being competitive.”
    For what? 4th place?

7. sethb22 - Aug 4, 2010 at 1:26 PM

Dempsey may know the team better, but Buck knows the whole groundwork of baseball from high school to the minors and throughout the league. Dempsey might know what this team needs but does he know where to get that player and develop them? I know Buck does and thats why he got the Job. Bring Dempsey on as an assistant.

Three legends off to Cooperstown