Aug 4, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
Rick Dempsey believes he was stepped over. Which may have been the way Angelos wanted it, but it ain’t the way he wanted it! He’s smaht! Not like everybody says!
“I’m very, very disappointed, to tell you the truth. I don’t begrudge Buck getting the opportunity. He is
going to be a hell of a manager. He has been a hell of a manager. But I
will always feel I know more about this ballclub than anybody else . . . I think it is probably the biggest mistake made here in a long time, and
I’m not talking just today, I mean over the years. Not
being given an opportunity to manage this ballclub. Every organization
in baseball would like to have someone who has won, who has played in
the World Series for the organization, who has learned to manage from A
ball up and come back here. I think with the relationship I have had
with the fans and this city, I should have been a slam-dunk years ago.
Someone dropped the ball a long time ago.”
I think Dempsey has a point that he should have been considered more the past couple of times it was open. The guy paid his dues and had a good deal of success as a minor league manager. But the Orioles just aren’t in a place right now where they can afford to — yet again — take a chance on a guy with no big league managerial experience.
It’s not Dempsey’s fault that the O’s went with the Lee Mazzillis, Sam Perlozzos and Dave Trembleys of the world over him before, but I think he simply missed his window. Based on the rest of the linked it article it seems like he’s being pretty stand-up about it, the above quote notwithstanding. He wishes Showalter the best and even flashes a sense of humor about it all (“Well, it’s not the first time I have gone 0-for-4″). But he’s certainly not a happy camper about it.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 42
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 57
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)