Aug 4, 2010, 11:13 AM EDT
Rick Dempsey believes he was stepped over. Which may have been the way Angelos wanted it, but it ain’t the way he wanted it! He’s smaht! Not like everybody says!
“I’m very, very disappointed, to tell you the truth. I don’t begrudge Buck getting the opportunity. He is
going to be a hell of a manager. He has been a hell of a manager. But I
will always feel I know more about this ballclub than anybody else . . . I think it is probably the biggest mistake made here in a long time, and
I’m not talking just today, I mean over the years. Not
being given an opportunity to manage this ballclub. Every organization
in baseball would like to have someone who has won, who has played in
the World Series for the organization, who has learned to manage from A
ball up and come back here. I think with the relationship I have had
with the fans and this city, I should have been a slam-dunk years ago.
Someone dropped the ball a long time ago.”
I think Dempsey has a point that he should have been considered more the past couple of times it was open. The guy paid his dues and had a good deal of success as a minor league manager. But the Orioles just aren’t in a place right now where they can afford to — yet again — take a chance on a guy with no big league managerial experience.
It’s not Dempsey’s fault that the O’s went with the Lee Mazzillis, Sam Perlozzos and Dave Trembleys of the world over him before, but I think he simply missed his window. Based on the rest of the linked it article it seems like he’s being pretty stand-up about it, the above quote notwithstanding. He wishes Showalter the best and even flashes a sense of humor about it all (“Well, it’s not the first time I have gone 0-for-4″). But he’s certainly not a happy camper about it.
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 10
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 59
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 12
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 111
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 57
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Cardinals add “OT” patch for Oscar Taveras 76
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (111)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (88)