Aug 4, 2010, 2:02 PM EDT
Aaron Cook has the distinction of being the Rockies’ all-time leader in wins, but none of that matters as the team’s playoff chances continue to fade by the minute.
A team source tells Troy Renck of the Denver Post that the Rockies are likely to move Cook to the bullpen, clearing a spot for Jhoulys Chacin to re-enter the starting rotation on Sunday.
Cook has been pretty bad all season, posting a 5.34 ERA through 21 starts, but he has reached a new level of awful lately, allowing five runs in each of his last three starts and failing to escape the fifth inning in any of them. He was chased after just three innings in a 10-0 loss to the Giants last night.
Just recently, we heard that the Rockies were “quietly shopping” the veteran right-hander. Cook is owed $9.5 million next season and has an $11 million option or $500,000 buyout for 2012. He would receive an additional $1 million if he is traded. There’s still a chance that could happen this month.
Chacin, 22, was sent back to the minors late last month shortly after Jorge De La Rosa returned from the disabled list. He has a 4.04 ERA overall this season and was very impressive during his time in the rotation, compiling a 3.67 ERA and a 74/34 K/BB ratio over 12 starts. He quite simply gives the team the best chance to win right now.
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 48
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 33
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 26
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 13
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 81
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (120)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (105)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)