The Mariners trade Mike Sweeney to the Phillies

Aug 4, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT

Multiple sources are reporting that the Mariners have traded Mike Sweeney to the Phillies for cash considerations and a player to be named later.

Um, OK.  Sweeney is hitting .263/.327/.475 this year.  Although the present tense is a bit misleading, in that he hasn’t played since June 25th. He’s only played in 30 games total, 21 of which were as a DH, six as a pinch hitter and only three games at first base.  His most intense action this year, however, has come challenging his teammates to fights and browbeating and intimidating reporters who say negative things about his team.

With no real openings for “designated hardass” on this team, my guess is that the Phillies will platoon Sweeney at first base with Ross Gload.  The more he plays, the better I like the Braves chances.

UPDATE: Holy moley! Charlie Manuel just said that the starting job is Sweeney’s!  Mike Sweeney hasn’t been a regular first baseman for a good five years, so this should be . . . interesting.

1. The Rabbit - Aug 4, 2010 at 5:23 PM

Holy moley is correct! I like the Braves chances a lot more, too.
    I’m anxiously awaiting the critique from the Phillies fans.

2. G2 - Aug 4, 2010 at 5:27 PM

Gload at first against righties, Ibanez at first against lefties with Francisco, Brown and Mayberry in the OF corners until Victorino gets back. (although they were trying to get mayberry some time at 1B in AAA, that could work too)
    Everyone of those players is better than Sweeney. And probably a better defensive situation. I’m just guessing that Sweeney is a liability defensively.

3. G2 - Aug 4, 2010 at 5:34 PM

I didn’t mean that Ibanez sits against righties, he would play his normal left field. This “solution” seemed pretty obvious to me. Maybe Sweeney can get hot for a couple games and not kill us.

4. BigPhil - Aug 4, 2010 at 5:38 PM

Meh… what’s the alternative? Maybe he gets hot, hits well, and provides some balance in the lineup as a righty. BONUS!
    If he stinks it up, would anyone besides Sweeney’s close family members be surprised? Again, what alternatives do we have? Charlie has shown he’s really reluctant to switch up roles for the every day guys (e.g. keeping Polanco at 3rd despite Utley’s injury). We’re playing musical chairs with a bunch of guys who struggle to have an OPS with a 6-handle.

5. PaulKersey - Aug 4, 2010 at 6:15 PM

Sweeney’s the one they chose to play center field because I remember he played there a lot. There, and center field. They have some on their roster, at the same time that was the reason why he’s starting at first. The Phillies don’t have what we call a true first baseman right now.

6. schmedley - Aug 4, 2010 at 8:16 PM

I don’t know much about Mike Sweeney, so I can’t attest to his being a “hardass” or not. But I know plenty about Billy Wagner, and he is one of the biggest asses (hard or soft) in the game. Old Billy Blowhard usually wilts under the pressure of a pennant race. At least Brad Lidge is more consistent and sucks from wire to wire.

7. smokehouse - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:14 AM

Hey Hare, the Phillies will do the talking come October when they field the real Phillies. Right now, the Braves are chasing the Phillies. What the hell is going to happen when they field that awsome lineup that won two straight NL pennants.

8. Jonny5 - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:28 AM

Well, I don’t know much about Sweeney either, From the look of the linked post it seemed he was trying too hard to be a tough guy. But Raul Ibanez spent alot of time with the guy, and here’s what he said. “He’s just a quality human being,” Ibanez said. “He’s one of the best teammates I’ve ever had.” So I’m just going to sit back and hope he’s good pick up. Myself, I like Ross Gload on first. His swing is sweet, he’s getting on base, and can flip serious leather. Maybe they’ll shift him to 2nd? I just like him much more than Valdez because he’s a superior bat.

Final take away from World Series