Aug 4, 2010, 4:55 PM EDT
Multiple sources are reporting that the Mariners have traded Mike Sweeney to the Phillies for cash considerations and a player to be named later.
Um, OK. Sweeney is hitting .263/.327/.475 this year. Although the present tense is a bit misleading, in that he hasn’t played since June 25th. He’s only played in 30 games total, 21 of which were as a DH, six as a pinch hitter and only three games at first base. His most intense action this year, however, has come challenging his teammates to fights and browbeating and intimidating reporters who say negative things about his team.
With no real openings for “designated hardass” on this team, my guess is that the Phillies will platoon Sweeney at first base with Ross Gload. The more he plays, the better I like the Braves chances.
UPDATE: Holy moley! Charlie Manuel just said that the starting job is Sweeney’s! Mike Sweeney hasn’t been a regular first baseman for a good five years, so this should be . . . interesting.
- Bryce Harper pulled from Saturday’s game for not hustling 71
- Report: MLB likely to adjust rules for plays at home and transfer catches 18
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 17
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 22
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 11
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (248)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)