Aug 5, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Ozzie Guillen isn’t pleased. Joe Cowley passes along word of what he said when someone asked him if Jenks was still his closer: “You know what? Ask Bobby what he wants to do because I don’t know.”
4:17 P.M.: Bobby Jenks has been in Ozzie Guillen’s doghouse at least twice this season, most recently last week, and before that back in May. And of course, there was all of that back and forth at the end of last season and over the winter about Jenks’ conditioning. The upshot: he’s never had a long leash to begin with, and it’s gotten shorter as the year has worn on.
But now, I’m guessing, Ozzie is at the end of his rope, as Jenks blew yet another lead this afternoon when he came into the ninth inning with a 4-1 lead over the Tigers and gave up a three-run homer to Ryan Raburn of the Tigers, which sent the game to extra innings.
As I hit “publish” on this post it appears as though the Sox are going to pull it out, but I have this feeling that the result of the game won’t save Jenks’ job.
- Manny Machado could join the Orioles as soon as next weekend 2
- Michael Pineda suspended 10 games for “foreign substance” 44
- Doc Gooden calls B.S. on people saying pine tar is just to help pitchers get a grip on the ball 86
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating 126
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Josh Lueke is a rapist. How often does that bear repeating? (201)
- Benches clear in Pittsburgh after the Brewers’ Carlos Gomez bat flips a third-inning triple (183)
- Michael Pineda ejected in second inning for pine tar on neck, facing a 10-game suspension (156)
- Pineda and pine tar: baseball is, once again, sending mixed signals about cheating (126)
- Chipper Jones chimed in on the Carlos Gomez incident (111)