Aug 5, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Ozzie Guillen isn’t pleased. Joe Cowley passes along word of what he said when someone asked him if Jenks was still his closer: “You know what? Ask Bobby what he wants to do because I don’t know.”
4:17 P.M.: Bobby Jenks has been in Ozzie Guillen’s doghouse at least twice this season, most recently last week, and before that back in May. And of course, there was all of that back and forth at the end of last season and over the winter about Jenks’ conditioning. The upshot: he’s never had a long leash to begin with, and it’s gotten shorter as the year has worn on.
But now, I’m guessing, Ozzie is at the end of his rope, as Jenks blew yet another lead this afternoon when he came into the ninth inning with a 4-1 lead over the Tigers and gave up a three-run homer to Ryan Raburn of the Tigers, which sent the game to extra innings.
As I hit “publish” on this post it appears as though the Sox are going to pull it out, but I have this feeling that the result of the game won’t save Jenks’ job.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)