Aug 5, 2010, 4:56 PM EST
UPDATE: I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Ozzie Guillen isn’t pleased. Joe Cowley passes along word of what he said when someone asked him if Jenks was still his closer: “You know what? Ask Bobby what he wants to do because I don’t know.”
4:17 P.M.: Bobby Jenks has been in Ozzie Guillen’s doghouse at least twice this season, most recently last week, and before that back in May. And of course, there was all of that back and forth at the end of last season and over the winter about Jenks’ conditioning. The upshot: he’s never had a long leash to begin with, and it’s gotten shorter as the year has worn on.
But now, I’m guessing, Ozzie is at the end of his rope, as Jenks blew yet another lead this afternoon when he came into the ninth inning with a 4-1 lead over the Tigers and gave up a three-run homer to Ryan Raburn of the Tigers, which sent the game to extra innings.
As I hit “publish” on this post it appears as though the Sox are going to pull it out, but I have this feeling that the result of the game won’t save Jenks’ job.
- Rosenthal: Mariners’ offer to Robinson Cano hasn’t topped $200 million 11
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (134)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (98)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (86)
- Yankees’ Jacoby Ellsbury signing to pay big dividends… for now (80)