Aug 5, 2010, 4:56 PM EDT
UPDATE: I’m going to go out on a limb and say that Ozzie Guillen isn’t pleased. Joe Cowley passes along word of what he said when someone asked him if Jenks was still his closer: “You know what? Ask Bobby what he wants to do because I don’t know.”
4:17 P.M.: Bobby Jenks has been in Ozzie Guillen’s doghouse at least twice this season, most recently last week, and before that back in May. And of course, there was all of that back and forth at the end of last season and over the winter about Jenks’ conditioning. The upshot: he’s never had a long leash to begin with, and it’s gotten shorter as the year has worn on.
But now, I’m guessing, Ozzie is at the end of his rope, as Jenks blew yet another lead this afternoon when he came into the ninth inning with a 4-1 lead over the Tigers and gave up a three-run homer to Ryan Raburn of the Tigers, which sent the game to extra innings.
As I hit “publish” on this post it appears as though the Sox are going to pull it out, but I have this feeling that the result of the game won’t save Jenks’ job.
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 0
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 0
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards 127
- It sure sounds like Adam Wainwright suffered a torn Achilles tendon on Saturday night 37
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 32
- Report: Rangers will pay Josh Hamilton less than $7 million; deal includes opt-out after two years 97
- Suspensions announced for Thursday’s brawl between the White Sox and Royals 78
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 81
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (130)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)