Aug 5, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Yet Derek Lowe continues to go through life in perfect health.
Sorry, that was bitter. I don’t wish harm to come to Lowe. I just really wish it didn’t come to Kris Medlen. He’s young and promising and — most importantly — will likely help anchor the Braves’ rotation in the future when Derek Lowe is fishing someplace. For now, though, it looks like Dr. James Andrews is in his future.
Results of an MRI today reveals a partial tear to his ulnar collateral
ligament. The official line now is that the Braves will wait and see what’s up, but I’m having a hard time remembering a pitcher with Medlen’s diagnosis who actually just rested for a couple of weeks and then came back right as rain. If any of you can think of one please tell me, because right now I’m kind of depressed.
For the record, Medlen has been a swingman this year, and has an ERA of 3.68 ERA with 83 strikeouts and 21 walks in
107.2 innings. He stuff and his maturity make me think he could be a pretty darn good regular starter one day. Now that day is not likely to be until 2012 at the earliest.
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 50
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 51
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- Jerry Dipoto loses power struggle with Mike Scioscia, steps down as Angels general manager 39
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)