Aug 5, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Yet Derek Lowe continues to go through life in perfect health.
Sorry, that was bitter. I don’t wish harm to come to Lowe. I just really wish it didn’t come to Kris Medlen. He’s young and promising and — most importantly — will likely help anchor the Braves’ rotation in the future when Derek Lowe is fishing someplace. For now, though, it looks like Dr. James Andrews is in his future.
Results of an MRI today reveals a partial tear to his ulnar collateral
ligament. The official line now is that the Braves will wait and see what’s up, but I’m having a hard time remembering a pitcher with Medlen’s diagnosis who actually just rested for a couple of weeks and then came back right as rain. If any of you can think of one please tell me, because right now I’m kind of depressed.
For the record, Medlen has been a swingman this year, and has an ERA of 3.68 ERA with 83 strikeouts and 21 walks in
107.2 innings. He stuff and his maturity make me think he could be a pretty darn good regular starter one day. Now that day is not likely to be until 2012 at the earliest.
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 1
- Wild Card Game: Giants vs. Pirates lineups 4
- The beauty of belief 38
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 41
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (80)