Aug 5, 2010, 5:59 PM EDT
Yet Derek Lowe continues to go through life in perfect health.
Sorry, that was bitter. I don’t wish harm to come to Lowe. I just really wish it didn’t come to Kris Medlen. He’s young and promising and — most importantly — will likely help anchor the Braves’ rotation in the future when Derek Lowe is fishing someplace. For now, though, it looks like Dr. James Andrews is in his future.
Results of an MRI today reveals a partial tear to his ulnar collateral
ligament. The official line now is that the Braves will wait and see what’s up, but I’m having a hard time remembering a pitcher with Medlen’s diagnosis who actually just rested for a couple of weeks and then came back right as rain. If any of you can think of one please tell me, because right now I’m kind of depressed.
For the record, Medlen has been a swingman this year, and has an ERA of 3.68 ERA with 83 strikeouts and 21 walks in
107.2 innings. He stuff and his maturity make me think he could be a pretty darn good regular starter one day. Now that day is not likely to be until 2012 at the earliest.
- Dodgers announce Vin Scully will return for 2015 season 4
- Jon Lester scratched Wednesday amid trade speculation 7
- Rays are “talking and willing” to trade ace lefty David Price; Cardinals and Dodgers interested 27
- Phillies wanted Joc Pederson, Corey Seager, and Julio Urias from Dodgers for Cole Hamels 58
- Matt Cain is going to pay a visit to Dr. Andrews 4
- The Nationals and Orioles dispute over TV money is about to explode 78
- The Red Sox are expected to deal Jon Lester and the Pirates are a “dark horse” 36
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- Expert’s Corner: How to troll fans of all 30 teams (201)
- “Caucasians” t-shirts are hot sellers on Canadian Indian reservations (189)
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts (165)
- Must-click link: sexual depravity — and possibly rape — in the minor leagues (101)
- Ray Rice is awful, but let’s not pretend baseball has a great record on domestic violence (91)