Aug 5, 2010, 5:59 PM EST
Yet Derek Lowe continues to go through life in perfect health.
Sorry, that was bitter. I don’t wish harm to come to Lowe. I just really wish it didn’t come to Kris Medlen. He’s young and promising and — most importantly — will likely help anchor the Braves’ rotation in the future when Derek Lowe is fishing someplace. For now, though, it looks like Dr. James Andrews is in his future.
Results of an MRI today reveals a partial tear to his ulnar collateral
ligament. The official line now is that the Braves will wait and see what’s up, but I’m having a hard time remembering a pitcher with Medlen’s diagnosis who actually just rested for a couple of weeks and then came back right as rain. If any of you can think of one please tell me, because right now I’m kind of depressed.
For the record, Medlen has been a swingman this year, and has an ERA of 3.68 ERA with 83 strikeouts and 21 walks in
107.2 innings. He stuff and his maturity make me think he could be a pretty darn good regular starter one day. Now that day is not likely to be until 2012 at the earliest.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 3
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 10
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 31
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 293
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)