Aug 5, 2010, 10:47 AM EDT
I mentioned this earlier this morning but it kind of got buried so I’ll mention it again: last night, amidst the euphoria of winning the auction for the Texas Rangers, soon-to-be new Rangers owner Chuck Greeberg said some big stuff about the guy most considered to be a half-season rental:
ESPNDallas.com: Now that you’re about to become the owner officially, how hard will you work to re-sign Cliff Lee?
Greenberg: We’re going to work really, really hard.
Cliff is not only a great pitcher; he’s an exemplary professional,
teammate and role model. We are going to do everything we can to keep
him. We’ve got a period of time where we’ve got a chance to demonstrate
to him how special it’s going to be to be a part of the Rangers family,
and that’s what we’re going to be, a family. We’ve got a great group of
guys on the team, a committed ownership and a great front office. We’re
going to do the best we can to show him he’s found a home and that this
is a place where he wants to be.
I guess that will be the first true test of whether the $85 million in extra cash and $68 million in overall sale price occasioned by the bankruptcy gambit and auction will impact the Rangers on the field.
I’d say that he has no chance if the Yankees get involved but, hell, this is the guy who just out-bid Mark Cuban so doubt him at your peril.
- ESPN pulls Curt Schilling off broadcasts for rest of regular season and Wild Card game 32
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff 123
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 73
- The Marlins are going to change everything except their biggest problem this offseason 53
- Drooling over Miguel Sano’s incredible numbers through 50 career games 35
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired 105
- Settling the Scores: Tuesday’s results 81
- Yankees reveal Mark Teixeira’s shin injury is “more than we thought” 16
- Sarah Palin sticks up for Curt Schilling, tells ESPN to “stick to sports” (266)
- David Ortiz is more likely to be boned in Hall of Fame voting for being a DH than for PED stuff (123)
- Matt Williams puts up another strong performance in his quest to get himself fired (105)
- Why Mike Mussina keeps getting hosed in the Hall of Fame voting (89)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (87)