Jason Bay is "not close" to returning

Aug 5, 2010, 10:18 AM EST

When Jason Bay collided into the left field fence in Los Angeles on July 23, I described it as a potential season-changing moment. Not for the Mets, necessarily, but that Bay would finally be the elite run producer we all know he is capable of being. Of course, I said that not knowing he would eventually suffer from concussion symptoms, but if I had the chance to meet “12 days ago me,” I’d probably punch that optimistic sucker right in the gut.

And now this. A team official tells Anthony DiComo of MLB.com that Bay is “not close” to coming off the disabled list and is unlikely to be activated when he is eligible next Tuesday.

Bay told Mets trainer Ray Ramirez that he is feeling “a little better,” however he has yet to begin baseball activities and the club has no indication of when he will actually do so. You know what that means? More Francoeur for everyone!

As for Bay, it’s pretty sad when the most entertaining thing to come out of his first season in Queens is his inclusion in a rap “song” by Ron Artest.

1. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:23 AM

Worst free agent signing this side of Mike Hampton and Chan Ho Park. 32 years old, a mediocre fielder at best, good for 160 strikeouts in a full season, and wildly streaky and inconsistent. From what I know he’s a good guy, but now my Mets are stuck with an untradeable LF who is an old 32 and you can’t count on for any consistency. Good signing guys.
    Next thing you know they’ll throw $200 million at Prince Fielder and then watch the guy go Tyne Daly Supernova on them, a la Mo Vaughn.
    Thank God there’s NASCAR this summer.

2. Philip P - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:24 AM

Shut him down for the season and hope for the best for 2011.

3. SportsME23 - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:36 AM

Wow, Nascar?!?! You don’t even get to look forward to football like the rest of us? Ouch. Hope the Mets make a run.

4. Adenzeno - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:42 AM

Baseball > than Football

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:47 AM

It’s just weird that three years running, the Mets have had players with concussions. I have to wonder if maybe, given the fate of Ryan Church, that the team trainers are being way more cautious now. I also wonder if maybe there have been a lot of concussions that trainers across baseball ignored until this age of (thankfully) increased concern about such injuries in all sports.
    The novelist/comic book writer Peter David, upon the signing of Bay, suggested that there be a pool to pick the exact date that Bay got hurt. Not that he’s gloating about being right, but he saw it coming.

6. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 10:53 AM

NASCAR will get me through to Labor Day…. then it’s GO GIANTS!

7. Mavix - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:25 AM

Worst signing of the winter meetings…well not surprising when you have Minaya as your GM.
    The Wilpons need to sell this team. They don’t know how to run it. In fact, it’s no wonder their fans don’t care anymore…why should they when the team, management and owners don’t care either!

8. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:29 AM

I care. I care passionately. And I think that the Wilpons and Minaya, no matter what flaws they have, care.

Maddon has high hopes for Cubs
  1. P. Sandoval (4486)