Aug 5, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis went in for a second opinion on his thumb today. The only way it could have been worse was if the doctor said “you’re ugly too.” The verdict: season ending surgery for the Red Sox’ best hitter.
I’ve been declaring the Red Sox dead for a week now, but I think this is truly the coup de grace. Youkilis was batting .307/.411/.564 and there is no one in Boston that can make up for that.
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 10
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 184
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 30
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 40
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 43
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (198)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (102)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)