Aug 5, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis went in for a second opinion on his thumb today. The only way it could have been worse was if the doctor said “you’re ugly too.” The verdict: season ending surgery for the Red Sox’ best hitter.
I’ve been declaring the Red Sox dead for a week now, but I think this is truly the coup de grace. Youkilis was batting .307/.411/.564 and there is no one in Boston that can make up for that.
- Reds finally shut down Devin Mesoraco seven weeks after hip injury, surgery may be needed 3
- Mike Napoli continues to kill the Angels 5
- Brian Matusz suspended eight games for a foreign substance 5
- Settling the Scores: Memorial Day Edition 51
- Giants designate Casey McGehee for assignment 25
- Yan Gomes returns to the Indians’ lineup after missing six weeks with a sprained right knee 0
- Marlins jump in Clevelander pool after snapping losing streak 22
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 19
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (133)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (132)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)