Aug 5, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT
Kevin Youkilis went in for a second opinion on his thumb today. The only way it could have been worse was if the doctor said “you’re ugly too.” The verdict: season ending surgery for the Red Sox’ best hitter.
I’ve been declaring the Red Sox dead for a week now, but I think this is truly the coup de grace. Youkilis was batting .307/.411/.564 and there is no one in Boston that can make up for that.
- Yordano Ventura calls Jose Bautista a “nobody” and accuses him of stealing signs 65
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 77
- The benches cleared in Toronto, too 78
- The Reds’ and Pirates’ benches cleared after Brandon Phillips was hit with a pitch 61
- Reminder: even though the trade deadline has passed, trades can still happen 13
- Settling the Scores: Saturday’s results 36
- Lucas Duda’s last eight hits have been home runs 11
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 32
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (205)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (92)