Kevin Youkilis to have season-ending thumb surgery

Aug 5, 2010, 4:25 PM EDT

Kevin Youkilis went in for a second opinion on his thumb today. The only way it could have been worse was if the doctor said “you’re ugly too.”  The verdict: season ending surgery for the Red Sox’ best hitter.

1. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:44 PM

In all probability the doctor had long since figured out how not to think out loud. He’s a professional.

2. geoknows - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:49 PM

Can the doctor fix his face as long as he’s there?

3. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:50 PM

“I’ve been declaring the Red Sox dead for a week now, but I think this is truly the coup de grace. Youkilis was batting .307/.411/.564 and there is no one in Boston that can make up for that.”

Really, I think the season was lost when Pedroia and Victor Martinez went down at the same time (almost), but this makes it official. Well constructed team, but just too many obstacles to overcome this year.

4. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:51 PM

Dude, medical science has only come so far.

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:54 PM

And yet, this weekend’s Yankees-Bosox series will be treated a big deal by the media, I am sure, even though last weekend’s Yanks-Rays matchup was far more important.

6. Proudly Canadian - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM

The Red Sox are done for dinner. They are not very interesting this year. Going forward, a rebuilding job is in order.

7. paul - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:02 PM

Supposedly Papelbon was run through waivers and was claimed so Boston may be dealing him within the next week.

8. basiltherat - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:03 PM

I don’t care how many limbs get shot off, I absolutely can’t declare them dead yet. They’ve been killed by injuries all year, and they’re still second in the AL in runs, which says something about their depth. They got Ellsbury back, they’re getting Pedroia back soon, Beckett’s looked sharp in his return … I’ve seen stranger things happen. I might change my mind after 10 games at New York, Toronto and Texas, though.

9. Ace2000 - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:04 PM

You’re absolutely right, but a few irrational fools like me were still hanging on to the tiniest shred of hope. Now we can all let go, and just try to enjoy the dawn of the Ryan Kalish era in Boston.

10. Ari Collins - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:25 PM

Rebuild a team likely to win 90 games despite tons of injuries?

11. Old Gator - Aug 5, 2010 at 5:27 PM

I guess the Boston cops can put their beanbag guns back in storage until next season.

12. summerof67 - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM

It ain’t over ’til it’s over.
    The fat lady is not singing yet. And if she tries to go onstage, I will personally pull her off into the wings.
    Here endeth the lesson.

13. summerof67 - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:10 PM

Precisely. Not done yet. Plenty of baseball left.

14. John_Michael - Aug 5, 2010 at 6:40 PM

A father and his son are in a car accident. The father dies at the scene and the son is rushed to the hospital. At the hospital, the surgeon looks at the boy and says ‘I can’t operate on this boy, he is my son.’

15. Kiwicricket - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:04 PM

But confronted by such an overwhelming disgusting presence, he blurted out something rather obscene at the mere sight of the guy. Life continues.
    *The only way it could have been worse was if the doctor said “you’re ugly too.”
    This is why the viewers tune in day after day. 8/10

16. Proudly Canadian - Aug 5, 2010 at 7:10 PM

Wrong! The fat lady has completed her aria.

17. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:09 PM

They’re the real victims in all of this, really.

18. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 8:11 PM

That is not how waivers work.

19. JBerardi - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:12 PM

Rebuilding isn’t the right word. It’s not like they’re going to trade Pedroia, Youk, Lester, etc for prospects. Retooling, perhaps… some bullpen help, get rid of a few corpses (Varitek, Wakefield), maybe replace Ortiz with Dunn or Fielder, ditch the cursed monkey paw that keeps injuring guys… they’ll be fine.

Orioles turn AL East on its head