Aug 5, 2010, 8:48 PM EST
It’s common for rehabbing major leaguers to spoil the fellas in the minor league clubhouses that they visit. Whether it’s a meal, a new recliner or a flat-screen television, the big leaguers throw down some cash and the underpaid farm hands live in luxury for a moment.
Kyle Lohse underwent surgery on his right forearm in late May and is making a final minor league rehab start on Thursday night at the Cardinals’ Double-A affiliate in Springfield, Missouri.
B.J. Rains of FOX Sports Midwest is on hand for the rehab outing and passes along word that Lohse bought the Double-A clubhouse a ping-pong table at the request of Springfield’s regulars.
The 31-year-old right-hander signed a four-year, $41 million contract with the Cardinals after a solid 2008 season, so it’s no skin off his back. He will rejoin the big-league rotation next week if all goes well on Thursday evening. Lohse had a 5.89 ERA and 1.71 WHIP in nine starts before landing on the disabled list.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 299
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (299)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)