Mets willing to negotiate extension with Jose Reyes

Aug 5, 2010, 11:35 AM EDT

The Mets are willing to negotiate a contract extension with Jose Reyes, a team source tells Andy Martino of the Daily News.

Reyes is currently in the final year of a four-year, $23.25 million contract. The Mets hold an $11 million club option for next season, but would like to replace the option year with a new multi-year contract. Nothing will be finalized during the season, however, and the two sides have yet to discuss the matter. Either way, the Mets reportedly aren’t concerned about Reyes’ various health dramas over the past year and a half and appear committed to him for the foreseeable future.

The 27-year-old shortstop is batting .278/.318/.414 with seven home runs, 39 RBI, 62 runs scored and 21 stolen bases this season. While locking him up would be popular among many Mets fans — myself included — it’s worth noting that his current 731 OPS is the lowest since his first full big league season in 2005. His defense has also declined over the course of the last three seasons, according to UZR.

1. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 11:50 AM

When he’s good and healthy, he is the best sparkplug I have ever seen. He can make things happen.
    But yeah, he hasn’t really been Superman of late. And it would be hard not to worry that locking him up too soon would be locking the team into yet another bad deal.
    And there is that pesky question of “team leadership.” I think that if he’s on base, he’s leading by his actions. But all the carping about last night’s game from fans and reporters makes me wonder if at the very least a lot people would want to see the Mets start over.
    My guts says keep him, but not to extend his deal more than three years.

2. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:03 PM

FOR GOD’S SAKE METS, TRADE HIM!!!!
    He’s at the peak of his career supposedly, and hasn’t been the same player since coming back from injury. What makes you think he’ll suddenly turn back into a 70 SB guy who hits .310 or so? He’s not. Trade him out of here and pick up a boatload of prospects and a serviceable SS. You’re not winning anything this year or next year with him anyway.

3. Alex - Aug 5, 2010 at 12:10 PM

Simon — I’m sorry, but Rickey Henderson was “the best sparkplug I have ever seen…”

4. Benny Blanco - Aug 5, 2010 at 1:49 PM

You know eaxactly what would happen if they trade him. He would tear it up somewhere else and everyone would say another bad trade by the Mets. He is too young and has the possibility of too many good years ahead of him to trade him for a few prospects and maybe a decent SS.

5. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 2:42 PM

Fair enough. But then I didn’t see as much of Rickey as I have of Jose, being of the NL persuasion. And seeing him as a Met meant I wasn’t really seeing him.

6. Simon DelMonte - Aug 5, 2010 at 2:44 PM

Isn’t it always like that for the Mets (and maybe 80% of teams)?
    Though I can say with all confidence that if the Mets had kept Nolan Ryan, Jim Fregosi wasn’t going to be the second coming of Ted Williams.

7. BC - Aug 5, 2010 at 3:59 PM

He’s 28 and injured a lot. That’s not a good sign for someone who relies on speed. His SB are way down this year even though he’s been healthier than I would have expected.

8. Benny Blanco - Aug 5, 2010 at 4:58 PM

He had injuries early in his career and the one last season. Serious injuries anyway. Things happen. How many shortstops would you rather have in the league that are younger than 30 and are capable of igniting a team?

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5048)