Aug 5, 2010, 11:35 AM EST
The Mets are willing to negotiate a contract extension with Jose Reyes, a team source tells Andy Martino of the Daily News.
Reyes is currently in the final year of a four-year, $23.25 million contract. The Mets hold an $11 million club option for next season, but would like to replace the option year with a new multi-year contract. Nothing will be finalized during the season, however, and the two sides have yet to discuss the matter. Either way, the Mets reportedly aren’t concerned about Reyes’ various health dramas over the past year and a half and appear committed to him for the foreseeable future.
The 27-year-old shortstop is batting .278/.318/.414 with seven home runs, 39 RBI, 62 runs scored and 21 stolen bases this season. While locking him up would be popular among many Mets fans — myself included — it’s worth noting that his current 731 OPS is the lowest since his first full big league season in 2005. His defense has also declined over the course of the last three seasons, according to UZR.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 13
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 29
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)