Aug 5, 2010, 2:37 PM EDT
This headline from an Associated Press story tells us what we already know by now. No, Pedro Martinez will not pitch this season. The interesting part, however, is that he said he turned down offers from “several teams” over the past two weeks.
Martinez said he was “very happy” to receive the offers and called them “very tempting,” but that he plans to spend the rest of the year with his kids and going on vacations. Phillies general manager Ruben Amaro Jr. told us last month that the 38-year-old right-hander had yet to throw off a mound, so if true, he’s hardly in baseball shape, anyway.
Any guesses on who the teams may be? I’m thinking the Phillies, Cardinals and Dodgers, just off the top of my head.
Martinez hasn’t ruled out pitching in 2011, but I’m starting to accept the very real possibility that Game 6 of the 2009 World Series was the last we’ll ever see of him. Kind of a bummer, really.
- Rangers activate Josh Hamilton from disabled list, send prospect Joey Gallo to Triple-A 6
- Huston Street says he’d retire if he was used like a 1970s-style fireman 42
- CC Sabathia looks like a reliever 24
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- AL All-Star voting update: now “only” five Royals in the starting lineup 59
- Andy MacPhail introduced by the Phillies. And the first topic of conversation is sabermetrics 20
- What a world: Orioles are in first place and Ubaldo Jimenez has been their ace 16
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results 99
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (275)
- Joe Maddon is the latest manager to rip instant replay. He’s got a point. (109)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights (79)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (75)